Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2001, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

84 C10 350V8, Q-Jet Elec. Choke. This morning when i started the truck, the choke light came on and stayed on. After driving a couple of miles, I noticed that the RPM's were still high. I manually kicked down the choke at the carb, but when I applied throttle, was at high RPM again. Disconnected the fuse, but the light stayed on. Sill choke plate sticking. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2001, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Check to see that the linkages are not binding. I am unfamiliar with computer controlled QJets, but it sounds like either something is sticking on your fast idle cam and circuit, or the choke itself isn't opening. Strange that it started doing this all of a sudden. Makes me wonder if there isn't some electrical control on it that I am unaware of that went bad.
Jeff
http://www.jeffsclassics.com
Old 03-25-2001, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The electrical connector at the carb melts ,and corrodes a lot on the Q-Jets,so check there.Another thing-do you have a voltmeter-when the alternator stops charging on those trucks-the choke light comes on right away.So take a look-see if you blew an alternator or belt off it.Good luck.Battery voltage should be 13.7-14.5 when running,12.6 volts static,fully charged.If you have full voltage at the connector on the carb,the Choke-stat is probably bad-its not to difficult to replace,just index the old one,drill out the 3 rivets,the new one will have new screws to put in,after its in,your going to have to fine tune it by turning it a little ,if the choke is to strong,bacj it off,if its to weak crak a little more preload.Good luck.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 03-25-2001 at 10:30 AM]
Old 03-25-2001, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

OK. I checked the ALT today and it SEEMS to be OK, charging OK, etc. I too off the choke coild, cleaned it and tested it. it seemed to move ok. Voltage @ elec. lead was about 14V, but when I attached it back to the choke and tested it, I got about 3V. my understanding is that this is just to help speed up heating the choke coil. When I disconnect the lead from the choke, the light goes off, connect it back, the light comes on. Just don't want to burn anything up. I have also heard that it is possible that there is an oil pressure sending unit that connects to this lead, and it may be bad. Any thoughts on this? I guess once the cold weather goes away, I can just disconnect it. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2001, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Well... I think I may have solved the mystery. The truck started doing it's 'shake, rattle, and roll' again, and the choke light intermitantly came on and off with crappy performance. Anyway, I checked everything again, and started pulling on the spark plug wires and 'ZAP'. I felt the spark. Anyway, it seems that I have a bad cable that was shorting out to the block, thus causing the stuttering, and electrical problems. I could not have narrowed this down without y'alls help. it is interesting that the CHOKE light can represent an electrical probelm. Anyway, I am going to replace the wires this weekend, and hopefully, this will solve the problem(s). THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!!!.