Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2005, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turfdude's website

A good friend of my lawncare mgr. created this site to gain some experience. I think its a good foundation and can only hope to add to it this off-season. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

www.littlebobs.com
Old 10-25-2005, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

have to change the text...I cannot read it.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

diito, definitely looks nice and simple, I can't read it though.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

does the email link work
Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
does the email link work
Mac, I don't think that portion works yet, I have to call the designer. He said its different w/ godaddy. I'll call him sometime by the w/e.

Thanks guys, I have not had too much trouble viewing the text from several computers at diff locations, but am up for more input.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

First of all the text is an image (tisk, tisk). That means that it is not resizable for different resolutions, terrible for SEO (content down the drain). The 'title' of the page is "Enjoy Your Visit" omg! View your page source to find zero (0) content...

1. Your entire site is an image...change this
2. Because your site has no searchable text, search engines will not accept
3. You have no META tags
4. You have a title for your site that has nothing to do with you site
5. Cannot read text clearly...tried different resolutions
6. Site created in a higher resolution than 800 x 600, therefore people visiting the site using 800 x 600 need to scroll (need wrapping text)
7. Your links on the nav menu use spaces...get rid of them or use underscore (_)...spaces in the adress bar are shown like this %20 ... so your link for Contact Us reads http://www.littlebobs.com/Contact%20Us.html change to ...contact_us.html or contact.html
8. Also some browsers and UNIX systems are case sensitive so make sure all of your links are lowercase to avoid error screens.
9. Because all of your text is an image your sites download time is terrible making the site not even worth while to visit for someone with 56K or lower (still millions out there with it...poor souls)

Just a few things I noticed...should be fixed before you send clients to the site. Your work seems good (from the photos) your site should be a reflection of that.

Take care,
Old 10-27-2005, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i couldn't agree more with ritchiem. this might sound a bit (or a lot ) critical, but the following is simple reality: a company's web site is often the only 24/7/365 advertising vehicle. ROI's for a landscape company site should be significantly higher than any other form of advertising. giving the keys to someone who's trying to learn at your company's expense is not exactly a great start as this designer has broken every remedial rule of web design, starting with the large page loads and text-as-image layouts. yes, it's great they hopefully did this pro bono, but i guarantee that the cost to you will still be fairly significant, in the form of lost leads, when customers don't even give the site a chance to load. just keep in mind that for a potential customer to seek out a landscaping company online, they are already showing themselves as likely more savy than a yellow pages customer and they might have a certain level of expectations that your designer doesn't seem to be able to meet.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, thanks for the replies! As I said, I didn't create the site myself. I have e-mailed this thread to the creator of the site & hopefully he can clean it up. I have had no problem viewing it from 3 locations & 3 different systems. I am kind of embarrassed because I did graduate w/ honors in Computer Science, but then again the languages I learned are no longer in use much today (Fortran, cobol, pascal, etc...) I was hoping that the basics could be set up so that I could add to or change things over the winter months. Again, thanks for the critique! RitchieM, your site is very well done & laid out. This is one of the first sites this guy is doing & I truely am his "guinea pig". I know he will do a great job, but he has been putting in mega hours at his f/t job. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I CAN SEE THE TEXT BUT IT IS BLURRY
and i am not drunk
the text is a little to small
but i do like it great start
Old 12-24-2005, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice site. there is a typo on the About Us page .. "timely manor" should be timely manner.