Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Adam, it must be raining there too eh? I was working on the mowers tonight because of the rain, we had some topsoil jobs lined up but it's nice to get the equipment ready too.I had to put a new rear binflap on the used Walker to get it ready for cutting.. It's really raining hard here now, finally a night off. <br> I have a couple of questions for you, do you do fert apps? If you do, can I ask what you put down and how much you put on and how many times per year you apply?I would like the totals you put on per year if you could. The pricing isn't a problem just the amounts to put on. Oh yeah, are you going to the auction sale in Thamesford on Sat. at 10:00 it is for a place called Tools and Toys Rental, they have a bunch of lawn equipment listed? I need a few things yet and have to go to London anyway, I'll probally check it out. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 04-21-2000, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi cantoo!<p>Ya it has been raining pretty hard here the last couple of days now!It's about time.The great lakes are down by 3 feet this year.I read in your post that you were getting your used Walker ready for cutting.Do you own many Walkers?What mowers do you use?To answer your question.....no I do not fertlize apartments.I only cut one apartment.Right now I do not do much fertlizing.I mainly get the weed man in town to do all my jobs.I refer work to him and he does the same.It workes out great!I have gotten some good jobs out of that.When I do fertlize I use milorganite.Have you heard of it?????It is an all natural fertlizer.If you are going to london you can check it out!I bought a bunch of it at I think it is called Turf Care or somthing like that they are a toro dealership.They sell the BIG toros.I asked how much the big winged toro machine is worth(a company that had the city contract used one)he told me it was worth $90'000.00 you think Walkers are expensive!!!!I don't really want to get into fertlizing big time untill I master the residential lawn market.I will probally buy a areator before I do fertlizing.I wish I could make it to the auction but I am not going to be able to make it.Have you ever seen aerators at auctions not pull behinds but self-propelled?I have some more questions for you!Do you do commercial or residential work?Do you do snow removal in the winter???and I have forgot where you were located agian!till next time.See Ya!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
Old 04-21-2000, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Adam, I am just north of Goderich. I have two Walkers, a Toro 44&quot;wbh, a Yazoo that I have attached an electric fertilizer spreader and an aerator to, a Roper for the kids to play with and a ton of smaller items. I only do this part time, I work in a factory during the day. My wife actually does most of the cutting (she cuts straighter than I can) I do the fertilizing and the spraying. We do everything from small residentials 2200sq ft to a 174240 sq ft (4 acre) park. And of course a cemetery just to round it off. We are trying to expand our business to the point where I would have to quit my full time job next year. I buy alot of stuff at Auctions and either use it or resell it at a profit to make a few extra bucks. <br> I was at MR Jutzi's in Breslau last turf auction and they sold 3 Merry aerators and 8 Ryan aerators. The Ryans went for $700 a piece and the same guy bought them all. They will be having another turf sale very soon I can e-mail you the date if you like. They had 607 lots of turf equipment at that sale.
Old 04-21-2000, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey cantoo thanks for the info on the on the auctions.WOW $700 for an areator!!!!!That is pretty awsome.I think I am going to have to start a bank accout and save a bit here and there and buy some equipment the odd time.I only buy new large mowers becouse I have had sevral times where I was paying more in repairs than it would cost to own a new one.Have you ever seen any good commercial honda 21'' mowers????That would be good.I don't like the idea of paying $1000+ for a 21'' mower.Sorry for asking agian but do you do snow removal???If so I might have some info you would like to know.Email me and let me know where and when that auction is and let me know about if you do snow removal.My email is...... ablawncare@mail.com Hope to hear from you soon!!!!<p>From:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
Old 04-22-2000, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Adam, sorry I forgot about the snow question.. I was multi tasking again... We don't do any snow removal for customers only our own. I have a single stage blower for the new Walker and a Walk behind two stage, we have a neighbour come in with a big tractor when it is too deep. We might consider it for next year but the closest town is 20 miles away. <br> I haven't seen any decent 21&quot; mowers at any sales lately and even the shitty ones go for more than they are worth. <br> I bough the Merry aerator at the sale today for $200 it seems to work good. I bought both of the Makita weed trimmers,one was $115 and the other was $180 both are like brand new only been used a couple of times. The chipper went for $370 I should have bought it but wasn't quick enough deciding. A roto tiller with aerator tines went for $240, the dethatcher went for $220 and the spring rake went for $200 there was only me and one other guy bidding on them. They had some really good quality stuff there and some reasonable prices for most. Gotta take advantage of other people's misfortune when you can. <br> By the way is your e-mail supposed to be mail.com or hotmail.com? <br> See you later, cantoo