Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

TURF: one helluva magazine

I just want to say that I've been reading TURF for years now and it sure is one helluva magazine. I would be lying if I said the articles didn't help my businesses get to where it is. Everything from equipment tests and reviews to community news and coverage of various business issues, Turf magazine is great!

Who's with me?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You work for them? Your getting real excited over a magazine that has a few articles and mostly ads.

All the lawn magazines are about the same to me. Nothing to get excited over. I get thousand times more information from lawnsite than the magazines.

I wouldn't loose sleep if I forget to renew one of them.

Bill
Old 10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Group Publisher

Hi Folks. David here -- Exec. Editor of TURF.

Gee Jim, thanks for all of the glowing praise. I'll take as much as we can get.

Bill, your opinion of trade magazines is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I can't speak for the other magazines, but your comment of "mostly ads," at least in Turf's case, is simply not true.

I just grabbed an issue off of the pile in my office -- It's Turf's central region edition for October 2005. The magazine is 104 pages, including the cover. There are 15 feature articles in the magazine. This doesn't count a Buyer's Guide to 2006 mowers, any of the news or new product sections, the Spanish language feature or my insightful and thought provoking editorial.

We shoot for an ad/edit ratio of around 60/40 percent. That is a standard magazine industry average (we can go as high as 70 percent ads, and still get the discounted publication postage rate). Those features don't come for free, either. Since my philosophy is that you'd rather get information and stories about and from people who actually live and work out there in the field (as opposed to a bunch of articles written by know-it-all editors), almost all of our content is provided by a team of freelancers, some of whom we've worked with for over 10 years. That means we have to pay for them (as opposed to assigning them to the aforementioned know-it-all editors, to whom we already pay a salary).

Those ads are not exactly useless, either. They're one way you can easily find out about what's available to make your job easier, faster, safer, more profitable, etc.

Sorry for the long post (an occupation hazard to being a writer/editor for a living). I agree with you that LawnSite is an amazing resource (which is why we have been involved with the site for so many years). If you don't stay current with the other trade media in your industry, I think you're missing part of the picture.

David G. Cassidy
Executive Editor/Dir. of Publishing
Moose River Publishing
Old 10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfEditor
Hi Folks. David here -- Exec. Editor of TURF.

Gee Jim, thanks for all of the glowing praise. I'll take as much as we can get.

Bill, your opinion of trade magazines is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I can't speak for the other magazines, but your comment of "mostly ads," at least in Turf's case, is simply not true.

I just grabbed an issue off of the pile in my office -- It's Turf's central region edition for October 2005. The magazine is 104 pages, including the cover. There are 15 feature articles in the magazine. This doesn't count a Buyer's Guide to 2006 mowers, any of the news or new product sections, the Spanish language feature or my insightful and thought provoking editorial.

We shoot for an ad/edit ratio of around 60/40 percent. That is a standard magazine industry average (we can go as high as 70 percent ads, and still get the discounted publication postage rate). Those features don't come for free, either. Since my philosophy is that you'd rather get information and stories about and from people who actually live and work out there in the field (as opposed to a bunch of articles written by know-it-all editors), almost all of our content is provided by a team of freelancers, some of whom we've worked with for over 10 years. That means we have to pay for them (as opposed to assigning them to the aforementioned know-it-all editors, to whom we already pay a salary).

Those ads are not exactly useless, either. They're one way you can easily find out about what's available to make your job easier, faster, safer, more profitable, etc.

Sorry for the long post (an occupation hazard to being a writer/editor for a living). I agree with you that LawnSite is an amazing resource (which is why we have been involved with the site for so many years). If you don't stay current with the other trade media in your industry, I think you're missing part of the picture.

David G. Cassidy
Executive Editor/Dir. of Publishing
Moose River Publishing
Hey Dave my comments were quick generalized comments. I get several lawn magazines and maybe your has more articles then the others.

I know your defending your Turf (no pun intended) but some of those magazines are a few useless articles and lots of ads. Ads are good to keep the magazines going but I am just stating the facts. Maybe I have seen them for a few years has jaded my emphasis for lawn magazines compared to a newby.

I have an MBA with a lot of business background so some of those articles are common sense to me verses someone without a business background or a newbie.

Keep up the good work.

Bill
Old 10-26-2005, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

No, I don't work for TURF, however, I like the articles and as for the ads, well, at least they're relevant! I've purchased things I've seen advertised in there more than a few times and I just think its a useful resource.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Turf brought me to LawnSite so I am grateful, I have only received one issue and was pleased with it. I liked the equipment review by an industry professional. You have to feel for the writers, how many times can you spin the latest innovations in whatever, lets face it we are in a dull industry.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always enjoy getting Turf. Thought I was going to be disappointed when I got a "Swimsuit Edition" this summer and hid it from my wife before I got a chance to read it. Later found out it was mowers with sexy little suits on!!!

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
ExMark Phazer mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 10-27-2005, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah that was a letdown lol
they fooled me
Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like Turf, its a lot better than LandScape and Irrigation or Lawn and Landscape
Old 10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that this is one of the better magazines and probably my favorite. I think part of my interest is that the magazine is published relatively close to me and its nice to see some local articles.