Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to your new home!

While out and about doing my accounts, I keep an eye open for "House For Sale" signs and "House Sold" signs and make my self know by introducing myself to the seller and/or owner. You might not think the seller would need their lawn cut but actually he/she needs you the most. With moving, packing and all, the don't usually have time to make the lawn look great. It also makes a shoe in for the new owner.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good idea. How often,if any, have you had the seller move away without payment.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have sent out letters "welcome to the neighborhood " and then tell about how important it is to keep a nice looking lawn and then describe my services
and to call for a free estimate. and it works great !!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercrvs24
That sounds like a good idea. How often,if any, have you had the seller move away without payment.
None to date. I make sure that I ask them where they are moving to etc. If they seem to be moving right away, I don't set them up on monthly billing...I simply collect on the day that I mow.

"Yea, just leave the check under the mat", I usually tell them. Seems to work fine.

If the house is for sale with not date to move, I just bill them as normal, once a month.

When the house is sold, I give a call to the realtor that sold the house and start the process of my intorduction so when the new folks move in, keeping th account is easy.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It would appear that most people with For Sale signs stuck out in front of their places would want the grass mowed and everything looking nice, but there are some people who once that For Sale sign changes to Sold, they could care less, or feel that its no longer their concern.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Care
It would appear that most people with For Sale signs stuck out in front of their places would want the grass mowed and everything looking nice, but there are some people who once that For Sale sign changes to Sold, they could care less, or feel that its no longer their concern.
That's true in some cases. But when you put your best foot forward, like I know alot of us do everyday, it's pretty easy to transition over to the new owner.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Care
It might be of concern if escrow falls through.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know Hayes, it looks as if this just happened to one of my clients. The buyer, a lady, apparently had an accident during this escrow period and became disabled to a degree that she couldn't work. Her lenders refused to lend the money on the basis of her not having income. So, the last I saw was the For Sale sign back up. Bad deal all around. My client had moved on into a retirement center.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen escrows as short as 30 days and then there are the longer ones. It behooves any seller to keep the place up because with strange things happening to potential buyers the property may have to go back on the market. Sometimes escrow papers will also state that the property must be maintained in the same status as it was when escrow was started in order to protect the buyer.