Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2005, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wild boar hunting

I finally shot and collected one of the wild boars that escaped from a game farm. It weighted around 400 lbs. Shot with shotgun and slug from just over 150 feet.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2005, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That must have been interesting. Tell us about the hunt.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hope you like sausage because that meat ain't fit for anything else. Spice it up and it makes some good sausage though. Hot Italian on a grill - fantastic!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

cantoo--wow! that is a big porker!

a while back the aussie guys on here posted about their boar hunts.

someone should bring that thread back up.

GEO
Old 10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I went a few years ago with a compound bow. Shot one from about 12 yards broadside and it turned and looked at me and charged right at me. It chased up a tree and kept on running down this hill side. I stalked it and put another arrow in it and it was over.

It's a good time though! Nice pics.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm sure that pig deserved it.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It wasn't much of a hunt. It was just a case of knowing a few things about wild animals and being in the right place at the right time. Two shots and he was down. This is a young boar so the meat is actually pretty good, they have been living on corn and soybeans all summer. The guy raised them to sell for meat, he went out of business. The owner was worried they might attack a jogger or get hit at night and he would be liable. Now our neighbours can walk without worrying about the pigs attacking them or their dogs.

bobby, it's survival of the fittest I had a gun and he only had tusks. I would say it was bad business planning on his part. He should have had a better adviser and maybe he would have stood a chance. It's a lawnboy eat porker world out there. Would it have been better if I pretended he owed me money and hit him over the head with a shovel?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i agree, the beast needed to die. he deserved to die. he earned it. i bet you can't count all the bad things he did in his life, using all the fingers on both your hands. but, in your defense, i'm sure....he was reaching for a gun and it was strictly self defense. i'm sure your hunting partner will attest to that
Old 10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
This is a young boar so the meat is actually pretty good, they have been living on corn and soybeans all summer. The guy raised them to sell for meat, he went out of business.
I've eaten boar and thought it was strong nasty tasting. When pigs are raised the boars are all castrated so they don't have that strong flavor to them, maybe thats why the guy went out of business, people discovered what pork should taste like.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantoo
It wasn't much of a hunt. It was just a case of knowing a few things about wild animals and being in the right place at the right time. Two shots and he was down. This is a young boar so the meat is actually pretty good, they have been living on corn and soybeans all summer. The guy raised them to sell for meat, he went out of business. The owner was worried they might attack a jogger or get hit at night and he would be liable. Now our neighbours can walk without worrying about the pigs attacking them or their dogs.

bobby, it's survival of the fittest I had a gun and he only had tusks. I would say it was bad business planning on his part. He should have had a better adviser and maybe he would have stood a chance. It's a lawnboy eat porker world out there. Would it have been better if I pretended he owed me money and hit him over the head with a shovel?
Ummm.....I thinkyou mean it was survival of the better equipment? After all the boar didn't have a gun. If it were just you and him, hands vs tusks, I doubt you would be lucky.