Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-01-2005, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

web site

If any of you have time, please check out my website and tell me the good, bad, and ugly...thanks

www.hot-lawns.com

Not sure how to do the link....sorry!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like it a lot. I think it would be neat if the links lit up somehow when you hover over them, but that's no big deal. How did you make it? Or did you have someone make it for you? Looks great
Old 11-01-2005, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

one cardinal sin committed was to have a photographic image as a .gif, when it should be in the .jpg format. saving as a .gif creates that dotted-effect as it tries to create color transitions that the format is not intended for. the other side-effect is the very large file size. your's is approx 157k or so, which creates long load times. attached is a version that i converted, and compressed significantly, to 30k, with little loss in quality. if you still have your original photo, save it as a .jpg first and you'll see a greater increase in quality than what i could do with a .jpg > .gif > .jpg conversion.

tony
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks

Tony, thanks for the info....had my in-law do the site...I will pass on the info to him as well as other tips to make it easy on people visiting the web-site...

Thanks folks!!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

toy2

From a consumer view, I would rather see what you can do for me instead of the seeing the machines you would use. Having a house with stripes would look a lot nicer, I think.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think it is OK. I prefer to not have to click and scoll so much. For the amount of info. you have it could all be on 1 or 2 pages. I agree about the mower pics.......show them your work instead.

$.02

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 11-01-2005, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteImpressions
toy2

From a consumer view, I would rather see what you can do for me instead of the seeing the machines you would use. Having a house with stripes would look a lot nicer, I think.
Yah, that was the first impression I had too. Why would a customer care what your equipment looks like. They want to see the RESULTS, not the equipment. A good website should show off lawns you maintain or work you do.

A few other suggestions;

* What's the Scenic Posters thing about? That doesn't belong and it's distracting. Not professional.

* There should be a link on the left that says "CONTACT" and on that page would be your phone number, email address, and any other contact info. you want to share with potential clients. Yes, I know that contact info. is down near the bottom of the first page. But most people won't scroll down to see it. So just add a link and make it easier for people to contact you.

* Why don't you include your name on the website anywhere? It seems a little impersonal to me. On one hand, from the looks of the website, you look like a small company or sole proprietor. But then on the other hand, you try to make it sound like it's some big time operation by remaining anonymous and using terms like, "Our associates are normally out in the field...." It's like you are trying too hard to impress people. There is nothing wrong with being a solo operator or a small company. In fact, that can often be a GOOD thing. People like to feel like they know the owner personally and can contact him, if needed. So why not use your name in the website somewhere. See my website for example (below...)

Otherwise, I think it's a good start for a first website. Websites are a work in progress. It's taken me 7 years to get mine to look so nice. And we've refined it over and over and over and over again. So just keep working on it and you will have a killer website. What you've got is a good start though. Even as it is now, it would work. It's just that it could be better.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

info

I asked for it.....good, bad and otherwise....thanks for the info Jim, I did look at yours and was impressed...thanks folks..
Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Toy2,

A few things I noticed,

1. Make sure to use consistency in your fonts, some headers bold some aren't. New Times and Ariel, bold and not, all different sizes.
2. There is so much blank on the pages...empty space; try to better lay out your pages. Your 'Services' page is a good example of what to do!
3. No Meta Tags...now I know that pages are more content based than anything, however having some good Meta tags never hurt anyone.
4. Your Mission statement needs some work...to vague.
5. Your index/home page looks like your sell Toro products...if I came to your site to find someone to maintain my property, I would look elsewhere...confusing to the client.
6. Get rid of the stat counter...I always think that they are cheap looking...you can get a invisible stat counter at www.statcounter.com with much more features...make sure to disable your cookie so your visits don't count.
7. Get rid of the google search bar...it takes your visitors away from your site...you don't want them looking for other LCO's from your site.
8. More Content! Explain how your company got started, detail some of your services.

Just some suggestions.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ritchiem

Thanks ritchiem, keep them coming, i will work on all of it......thanks for the info