Register free!

Old 11-01-2005, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

need a little help please

hello to all, i have been lurking around for a few years, I recently started my business, getting setup to start next year, well you guessed it, people have found out that i started setting up and have been getting calls, anyway i have taken on a couple of accounts, and the homeowner wanted shrubs trimmed up, did this, he is happy with the results, only he has two burning bushes in the front of the house that have grown taller than he would like and would like me to cut them shorter, i want to know if i hand prune these shorter after all the leaves fall from them if it will harm them. how short can i take them, they are approx. 6 feet now and i think he would like them approx half that. thanks for any advice you can give me
Old 11-01-2005, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My experiences with burning bushes is that you can pretty much do anything but tear them out and they will be fine. I've got a couple at my house that were about 8 foot tall and hacked them to about 2 foot stumps. They are now full again and about 4 foot tall. They may look rough for a while taking that much off but they should recover fine.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"I concur"

I had a hedge and cut off the side growth within inches of its life [ last fall], I feel it has grown back so much fuller now [ but well with in its bed line]........I've done height reductions as well with the same good results......I'd say Happy Pruneing
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

thank both of you for your quick response, i am sure the customer will be happy