Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2006, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
"Over-seeding is a waste of My Time and My clients Money".........Slit seeding has a 98% seed to soil contact [ better than any kind of aeration to Boot!!!]..........Non-irragated properties, .........:
What in world are you trying to say?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
"Slit seeding has a 98% seed to soil contact [ better than any kind of aeration to Boot
Slit seeding and aerating are two totally different things. And I'm sure even in New York your spring ground temps won't start germinating seeds intil mid May. That means any of your fall seeds not germinated won't be 1/4" high until mid June. How will that prevent weed seeds from contacting the same soil surface? You can't use corn gluten, so whats left?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Tscapes, It is about knowing your N costs. Read post named the same on board. Since we apply about 1 lb of actual N per M sqft.this is your cost per M sqft. You should be able to apply the organic at a lower rate, but how low is the question. If you reduce it in half your cost per M are half. M is roman numeral for 1000 if you did not know.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfProSTL

Even a tree hugger would have to admit that chemicals are quicker and easier to control these pests, if he were being honest.

The long term approach IS of course a thick, healthy stand of grass.....
I don't think anyone that comes to this forum regularly is disputing the fact that chemicals are quicker. Easier, I don't know, but it requires a little more knowledge and problem solving skills to be an organic applicator.
If using IPM and organics makes me a tree hugger, so be it...The hardcore chemical guys see no middle and only extremes...You're either a tree hugger or gung-ho chemical.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenlo
Slit seeding and aerating are two totally different things. And I'm sure even in New York your spring ground temps won't start germinating seeds intil mid May. That means any of your fall seeds not germinated won't be 1/4" high until mid June. How will that prevent weed seeds from contacting the same soil surface? You can't use corn gluten, so whats left?
We slice seeded with Trophy endophyte enhanced tall fescue and had great germination rates when applied before Oct 1st. We'll wait as long as possible to apply pre-emergent, but come early May at the latest, it will be down.

Cenlo, What rate are you putting CGM down at? From your previous post, it sounds like your putting it down at 5lbs..
Old 01-17-2006, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i do some slice seeding but dam its messey and time consumming
i have to charge a premium to do it and most wont pay
what size lawns r u guys doing most in my area r 10k and over up to 30k
Old 01-17-2006, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The biggest one I did last year was 23k...You do charge a premium and sell the higher germination rates, and do offer some sort of guarantee.
To cut down on the messiness, have the customer or their mowing company scalp the lawn prior to slice seeding. You cruise through it then. Or you could add a prep charge if you do it yourself.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn

Cenlo, What rate are you putting CGM down at? From your previous post, it sounds like your putting it down at 5lbs..
No, the corn is applied at around 15-20#'s/1000 spring and fall. The organic fert is at 5#'s/1000.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn
I don't think anyone that comes to this forum regularly is disputing the fact that chemicals are quicker. Easier, I don't know, but it requires a little more knowledge and problem solving skills to be an organic applicator.
If using IPM and organics makes me a tree hugger, so be it...The hardcore chemical guys see no middle and only extremes...You're either a tree hugger or gung-ho chemical.
No. I am well acquainted with the benefits of using organics. And have much experience with the chemicals. I have no problem with the guys trying to go strictly organic, except when they try to BS others on the ease and speed necessary to do it 'all' organically.

I would say that doing a good job organically OR with the help of chemicals takes knowledge and problem solving tools. If you are using IPM, especially on your newest properties, I wouldn't call you a tree hugger - I would say you are on the right track.

Anyone in the business who refuses to recognize the benefits of using organic based fertility has no agronomic sense. Anyone in the business who thinks the majority of homeowners have the patience to wait on a totally organic program has no business sense.

I would urge all to keep an open mind to successfully run their lawn care businesses.....
Old 01-17-2006, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfProSTL
No. I am well acquainted with the benefits of using organics. And have much experience with the chemicals. I have no problem with the guys trying to go strictly organic, except when they try to BS others on the ease and speed necessary to do it 'all' organically.

I would say that doing a good job organically OR with the help of chemicals takes knowledge and problem solving tools. If you are using IPM, especially on your newest properties, I wouldn't call you a tree hugger - I would say you are on the right track.

Anyone in the business who refuses to recognize the benefits of using organic based fertility has no agronomic sense. Anyone in the business who thinks the majority of homeowners have the patience to wait on a totally organic program has no business sense.

I would urge all to keep an open mind to successfully run their lawn care businesses.....

Well said!