Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I need zero turn help

Hello, I am new to the site and find it very useful. Thank you! I am in the market for a zero turn mower. I have 1.5 acres with many flower beds, trees and fences to cut around. My max price is around $4,000. I am not sure if a 36" or 48" deck is more appropriate. I want a powerful heavy duty machine that I could have fun mowing with. I take very good care of things and want this mower to last a long time. The problem I have is there are too many ztr's on the market. With my price range, it seems as though I am just into the commercial grade machines. Can anyone recomend a good entry level commercial mower or should I stick with a residential unit? I like Dixie Chopper, Scag , Kubota and Exmark, but they seem to be out of my price range. I've heard bad things about Husqvarna. Bad Boy and Hustler appears to be a lot of mower for the buck and they seem to be built tough. I would consider a slightly used mower, but they seem to cost almost as much as a new one. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you have a dealer near you look at the Simplicity consumer Z they sell for around 3800-4200 i beleive

you can either get 18 horse single cylinder kohler (44 inch cut) or 20 horse 2 cylinder briggs (50 inch cut)

they have the full width anti-scalp/striping roller and have individual pumps/motors stay away from the intergrated drives

in my opinion you cant go wrong with the simplicity, others will tell you to go commercial but if your only mowing your lawn there is nothing wrong with the homeowner versions

1970 John Deere 110 38A Mower
1988 John Deere 180 With 48" Mower and 42" Front Blade
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Old 10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think Joe is generally offering good advice, especially the part about staying away from integrated drives.

I went from a Cub Cadet Z-Force with the heavier IZT drives to a Bad Boy. It cost more money, but is tough, quality built, easy to maintain with a great company behind it and a lot of mower for the money.

Whatever brand you choose, make sure the dealer is a decent organization with a good service department that will stand behind the products they sell. There are PLENTY of good brands, just get a well built machine with individual pumps and motors and an industrial engine, not a B&S Intek which is a residential engine.

Good luck,
Doc
Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm also new to the website and am currently in the ztr market. My mowing is strictly residential (2 acres). I'm leaning hard towards the Hustler line. They have a 4 year parts and labor warranty for residential use. A dealer gave me ballpark prices of $3600 for the Hustler "Mini FasTrak" (17hp, single cyl. Kohler/42" cut) and $4800 for the "FasTrak" (18hp, 2 cyl. Honda / 44" cut). Would appreciate feedback on these.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Our Gravely dealer recently had a commercial ztr (I think it was either a 34 or 36 inch) and when I examined it was real impressed with the construction. It was listed at 4400. Any commercial unit will be better than a residentual unit, even a good used one.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

But for the average joe schmoe who is going to cut his yard 27-29 times per year, has a acre or two to cut doesnt need a 6,000 mower that $$ could be spent on many better things, buy what you need

if i had 3 acres in the country flat open id have a x series Deere or simplicity legacy parked in the garage far far more mobility with a tractor than a ztr

what can you do with the ztr besides mow and pull a trailer??

Old 10-13-2005, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have the hustler mft 17/42. grrrrrrrreat machine. paid $3100. no it doesn't have seperate pumps and motors, but for the homeowner they will give years of service. the mft has a 3 year warranty. the fasttrak has a 4 year warranty. you can mow your 2 acres in about 1.5 hrs with a mft 17/42. the ezt pumps are rated for 800 hrs of service.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the information. I am going to demo. a Bad Boy and Hustler in the next few days. I am having trouble getting a Simplicity dealer to let me demo their machines. They don't have many in stock and refuse to get their showroom model dirty. The consumer z seems like a pretty good machine, but I must take it for a spin. I will also look into the Gravely models.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Although it is true that for light mowing duty, the correct residential mower can get the job done for a long time, you should stay away from the super light duty integrated drives. These are the EZT model hydrogear units. They have a very small shaft that breaks pretty easily. The IZT model hydrogear is tougher built with a much bigger shaft.

All that said, there are some small commercial units that offer tough drives and commercial ratings. The 36" Gravely and MiniZ Bad Boy are good examples and are in the $4000 plus range. The Bad Boy Pup is a super tough unit and a lot for the money, but will be above the $4000 range.

Good luck and have fun shopping,
Doc
Old 10-14-2005, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Contact simplicity directly, should point you in the right direction, my dealer that i did buy from has 2 demo's that i saw the last time i was there