Register free!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Clean Up Before Doing a New Install

I have a beast of a job ahead of me. This will be the first time I've done anything this big. It involves pulling up alot of hedges, holly's, shrubs and trees. I know about what to charge on the install side of things, but I'm clueless on the Removal. How would I bill this out? I don't even know how long it is going to take me to get it all cleaned up. There are about 40 different things that have to come out, all of it old growth. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

clean-up before doing a new install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodesignfx
I have a beast of a job ahead of me. This will be the first time I've done anything this big. It involves pulling up alot of hedges, holly's, shrubs and trees. I know about what to charge on the install side of things, but I'm clueless on the Removal. How would I bill this out? I don't even know how long it is going to take me to get it all cleaned up. There are about 40 different things that have to come out, all of it old growth. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Step 1: Sit down and realize what you have to charge per hour per man for labor to stay in business and also make a profit. Not just paying the bills, but also being able to put money into the bank. You HAVE to know your expenses!!
Step 2: What are you going to have to rent in terms of equipment to get this job done. Add that into the cost/with a 20%-25% mark-up for your efforts.
Step 3: Total out the expense of purchasing the materials, also figuring in a mark-up for your efforts in purchasing.
Step 4: NEVER use YOUR money to accomplish these things. Always use the customer's money. Set the contract up so that you are always operating off of their money. Set them up on a pre-payment system to accomplish this.
Step 5: THE CONTRACT. Never get into a job without one. Have it signed by all parties involved. Without it, you do not have a leg to stand on. If the job is that big, get an attorney involved, for your own safety. Do NO WORK without the contract signed !!!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

for the install part the markup on my price is great. for the removal how does that price start out? 45 per shrub 100 per tree? that's the part i'm having a hard time with. the other advice you gave me was great too. Thank you so much.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

clean-up before doing an install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodesignfx
for the install part the markup on my price is great. for the removal how does that price start out? 45 per shrub 100 per tree? that's the part i'm having a hard time with. the other advice you gave me was great too. Thank you so much.
Removals should be: labor, rental and disposal. You have to know how much work you can do in a given time: per hour. If you don't, take a good guesstimate at it. Add in a "fudge factor", just in case you are off a little.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may be able to cut certain shrubs off with a chain saw, If I can, I cut taxus out with a chain saw just below ground level and plant inbetween. You can also drill stumps and add roundup in pure form to kill roots. A lot of shrubs won't grow back. I can chainsaw out a lot of yews in an hour, and make a complicated job easy. Just a bit of advice. It works great for trees to, and a stump grinder makes short work. You don't have to dig out everything I'm sure.