Register free!

Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rebel Exeda slow germination

Re-seeded most of my customers 2.5 weeks ago. All the accounts where I used my "normal" seeds (Lesco Transition Supreme) do great, the customes where I used the more high end Rebel Exeda had no germination yet. This is the first year where I used the Exeda, is it normal for that seed to take its time?

Thanks, John
Old 11-09-2005, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In NC its certainly not slow germination from low temperatures, must of been 80 today. It also hasnt rained in about 28 days. Is the seeded areas being irrigated. Another thought, the Rebel Excida is pure fescue, I suspect that the Lesco blend contains a certain amount of rye. Rye grass takes less moisture to get to germinate and will germinate faster than the fescues. What you are seeing might actually be the rye grass without any fescue germinating. Check the Lesco bag and see if it does contain ryegrass. I have never used it so i cant say for sure.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know the exact proprietary blends of seed in the Rebel Exeda, but it seems to have a lower germiniation period in October according to the ntep website. If it's a TTTF, it may take longer to fully emerge, especially if you haven't had any natural rain in 28 days. There's no better irrigation than Mother Nature..lol. Hang in there, it'll pop pretty soon.(hopefully )
Old 12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's now well over a month that I used the Rebel Exeda and it is looking OK now. Germination certainly takes a while and this waiting period is nerve racking for the customer and me...

Next time I use the Lesco Transition Supreme Tall Fescue again for all customers, it germinates quickly and looks very good, too.

John
Old 12-17-2005, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat. I sowed my yard with Palmer's Pride which has Rebel's Exeda and Rebels Sentry and it took forever. I was wandering at first if I had wasted my money, but after about a month it started coming in fine.

I'm like you I usually use Confederate, but my feed and seed company just got some Palmer's Pride and it did score really good in NTEP test so I said what the hay why not. I belive I will go back to old stand by or may go to Lesco Transiton. I have heard of a lot of people being satisfied with that seed also.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used Palmers Pride Captains's Choice a couple of years ago, looks OK, but I felt that it did not do too good during the summer unless it is water intensively.

We just finished today a leaf cleanup job on one of the "Exeda" lawns. With all the rain we had now here in NC, the grass looks finally very nice, it really stands out and the customer is very happy.

Still, when re-seeding Exeda and it comes in slow it is not the end of the world, but when seeding from scratch...there is a lot of pressure to have it look good in a short amount of time. On one of the yards we did, the neighbor started seeding also around the same time. The customer of course expects that "his" grass has to germinate faster and looks better…

Well... no more experiments, at least not on the high-end yards.

John
Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never been nuts about the Rebel family of turf cultivars.

A lot of their blends they have out now have little of the Rebel seed.
They are blended with several lower quality species.
Then to top it off, often they cost as much as the best breeds available.

I can't speak about the Lesco seeds and blends.... never used them.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Envy, I see that you have Lebanon Turf in your signature. Have you ever used Davinci seed? If so what kind of results did you get with this seed? My local feed and seed store had Davinci, but I was optimistic of buying it because they hadn't sold a bag of it yet.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Matt,

To tell you the truth about it, I really can't say more than I know that Davinci Tall Fescue has been rating very well in Turf Trials for years. I have used Winning Colors with great success, which in the past was 33% Davinci Tall Fescue. It is now 25% Davinci Tall Fescue, 25% Rembrandt Tall Fescue, 25% Masterpiece Tall Fescue, and 25% Picasso Tall Fescue.

This is why I really can't say more about it individually.
For all I know it could be the weakest link in this great blend, but I doubt it.

Most of the time, this is why I use high quality blended seed. A blend of 2, 3 or 4 well matched and complimenting varieties of high quality improved cultivares often has a better chance of performing better than a single variety.

But what I choose depends on the site or areas within the site. I've became quite the sucessful fescue farmer and I've gotten good at delivering a very hearty specialized crop. I've gotten good enough at the whole ballgame that it's actually bad for business in the form of lost future revenue...

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never seen Winning Colurs before. The reason I ask about Davinici is that I am looking for another brand of seed to use. I typically use Confederate seed and I have had decent results with that, but I am always looking for something better. I tried finding some Plantation, but I was going to have to order some from Pennington Seed Co. Anyways thanks for the help and quick relply Envy. I enjoy reading your post and replys. I feel you have a good stand of knowlege of the industry.

Matt