Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2005, 09:19 PM

ummm....well, not exactly what I was thinking...

I think an organization in this industry would need to be exactly what has been discussed - affordable and worth something - I say this with the utmost respect, but over the last 5-8 years there have been web sites and associations, etc... that have been started by industry big wigs who were one-time CEO's of major companies and their ideas were either way, way ahead of the times or their concepts did not make any sense in regard to the "regular" people in this industry....and make sure you realize the associations are not only expensive for members...someone mentioned the companies showing at the trade shows were only interested if you were a big company or golf course - hard to blame them considering.... they have a limited amount of time to show what they have, they pay a hefty price to show what they have and they incur significant expense shipping equipment, people, air fare, etc.... all for maybe 10-12 hours max of people checking them out...they are trying to recover their costs as best they can

I guess an industry association would benefit best if it was created by the members...sounds idealistic maybe, but the "members" would dictate what the membership is worth based on the ability of the assoication being able to bring to the table what they want.... I'm guessing up to this point it has been a difficult task providing exactly what people want and finding an affordable way to offer it.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Welll..........
Here's a thought............

You being the main man in "industry communication circles" with the "average" folk, why not put a sticky up top and find out what's cooking in the brainpans of the Lawnsite membership. Maybe, just maybe, something would rattle the "thinkers" into getting the idea...............Maybe..............
Old 11-18-2005, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a member of the NJNLA and have seen some benefit from it so far, but not enough. Like most organization, too many people have the power and not really the membership.

Perhaps we should invite them here to participate or sponsor and see what the responses are. As an industry, we need organization, but it needs to benefit the people that make up the organization not the folks with all the money and power already.

Kirk
Old 11-18-2005, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Membership in Industry Associations have many, many, valuable benefits if you are committed to improving your business and the industry.

You have access to many programs and services that can save you money.

Networking with others to have the industry's concerns addressed on legislative and regulatory issues is a very big plus.

I could go on and on but I really need to get to work this AM... just a few other benefits would be...Promotional Assistance, Industry development... here, the association was instrumental in establishing the Landscape Gardener Apprenticeship Program , and also the Horticultural Technician (CCHT) testing program.

Great thread Ill keep an eye on it for further participation.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I find it rather odd that no one has mentioned the role that the state and regional associations fulfill in dealing with government. When new regulations are proposed here, the VNLA polls its members and lobbies for the benefit of the members, whether it be water quality issues, land-use, pesticide regulation, labor legislation or other issues. The regional (local) associations have done the same thing regarding zoning issues and county regulations. Most companies are too busy working to constantly monitor what the politicos want to do to further regulate and tax us.
And if you are thinking that membership in an association will result in more sales calls, you are missing out on the main benefit. I have found that the educational opportunities, networking and information are very valuable. Many associations provide opportunities for both employees and owners to gain training and learn the latest on a wide variety of subjects from both industry and research experts that you couldn't afford to hire on your own.
It is important to determine which association is the right one for your company and interests.

As past president of one of these associations, I can tell you that the problem isn't that a few people want to exercise a bunch of power, rather it's not being able to get more people to volunteer to work on behalf of the association. And when we send out questionaires polling the membership on serious issues facing our industry, not many take the time to respond. If you are willing to serve on an association committee, you will very likely have the opportunity to move up the leadership ladder. If you never go to anything or read the publications that the association provides, you won't get much out of your membership. As others have said here before, you get out of it what you put in to it.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanelle
I find it rather odd that no one has mentioned the role that the state and regional associations fulfill in dealing with government.
Networking with others to have the industry's concerns addressed on legislative and regulatory issues is a very big plus.

First off, nice to see you Lanelle If you re-read my post you will find that I did indeed mention that.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:01 AM

Lanelle,

Thanks for posting your response. Good information....
Old 11-18-2005, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lanelle, glad to see you found an association that fits your needs. Maybe others need to look at the VNLA as an example. I was thinking more on a national level. There are many other organizations that could be used as a template. NRA, AARP, AMA, AAA, American Legion. All of these are household names, are grassroots based, with small membership dues, and have the power to work.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 11-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Funny you would mention the American Legion...just talking to a member and he was telling me the same thing - very simple, very organized, inexpensive but powerful
Old 11-18-2005, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanelle
As past president of one of these associations, I can tell you that the problem isn't that a few people want to exercise a bunch of power, rather it's not being able to get more people to volunteer to work on behalf of the association. And when we send out questionaires polling the membership on serious issues facing our industry, not many take the time to respond. If you are willing to serve on an association committee, you will very likely have the opportunity to move up the leadership ladder. If you never go to anything or read the publications that the association provides, you won't get much out of your membership. As others have said here before, you get out of it what you put in to it.

This is the problem with most organizations, a few people are always doing it all and things tend to get "old"..........