Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2005, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found my FREE membership on Lawnsite to be more valuable, entertainment AND pertinanent information value, than any state or local association that I have belonged to.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

They are worth it

I belong to the NJLCA (New Jersey Landscape Contractors Association). I enrolled last year as a student member; this year I am enrolled as a business entity.

I advise everyone to be part of an association that represents you and your goals at an State and National level.

Associations work if they are properly structure and have a common goal an vision for their members. As you may know, you pay a fee but you are also welcome to participate in their meetings and different commitees. They are many kinds of associations out there representing different segments of the industry:

Turfgrass Associations
Nursery Associations
Hardscaping Associations
Irrigation Associations
Landscape Architects and Designer Groups
Landscape Contractors
Snow Management Groups
Arborists Associations
Contractors buying big volume of materials as a group

All of these groups have monthly or bi-monthly meetings, social events, award ceremonies, training sessions with recognized industry leaders and consultants.

Furthermore, they represent you and lobby for you at a State and National level on issues such as H2B visas, water restrictions, fertilizer restrictions, pesticide regulations, taxes, help remove stupid laws sometimes, etc.

They also help administer certification exams or licenses in you area such as CLT, CNP, CLP.

And do no forget who runs the industry trade show near you!

In conclusion, yes, they are worth it, the more members and participation from them the better.
I understand sometimes you do not hear from them and you want to get more for the price of your annual membership; however, get involved and stop complaning. Take action! It benefits us all.

Ed Correa, CLT
Terra Landscaping
Dover, NJ
Old 12-26-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

They are worth it

I belong to the NJLCA (New Jersey Landscape Contractors Association). I enrolled last year as a student member; this year I am enrolled as a business entity.

I advise everyone to be part of an association that represents you and your goals at an State and National level.

Associations work if they are properly structure and have a common goal an vision for their members. As you may know, you pay a fee but you are also welcome to participate in their meetings and different commitees. There are many kinds of associations out there representing different segments of the industry:

Turfgrass Associations
Nursery Associations
Hardscaping Associations
Irrigation Associations
Landscape Contractors
Snow Management Groups
Arborists Associations

All of these groups have monthly or bi-monthly meetings, social events, award ceremonies, training sessions with recognized industry leaders and consultants.

Furthermore, they represent you and lobby for you at a State and National level on issues such as H2B visas, water restrictions, fertilizer restrictions, pesticide regulations, taxes, help remove stupid laws sometimes, etc.

They also help administer certification exams or licenses in you area such as CLT, CNP, CLP.

In conclusion, yes, they are worth it, the more members and participation from them the better.
I understand sometimes you do not hear from them and you want to get more for the price of your annual membership; however, get involved and stop complaining. Take action! It benefits us all.

Ed Correa, CLT
Terra Landscaping
Dover, NJ
Old 12-27-2005, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I belong to the Michigan Turfgrass Foundation. I've been a member for over 20 yrs. MTF works in conjunction with Michigan State University (MSU) in providing education and research in the turf industry. They also keep it's members informed of upcoming legislation that may impact the turf industry. MTF sponsors a summer "Field Day" and a winter Turf Conference. These two events draw folks from around the world to experience the latest in turf technology. Indiana and Ohio have similiar foundations, and I'm sure there are others too.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Where's the image of a professional

Look at an example of a professional and you would never come up with a
landscaper as a first, second or even 25th choice!
We joined Nari this year because they spend a lot of money to get the public to understand that they are doing business with an organization that only has professionals under it's membership. They pound the airwaves to get this point across and it works!
After 29 years in the green business, I can tell you that I would not join any
organization that did not focus on pointing out the benefits to the public in
choosing a professional landscaper. Everybody whines about underbidding in
their markets. How about making the public aware of how inadequate these
companies are. They have price and nothing else to sell!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sean, maybe it's the lack of communication that they all suffer from. The once a year trade show, maybe a newsletter, a lame website and sometimes regional meetings that aren't too inconvenient is about all. You try to network and maybe make a few contacts, and if you attend a social event maybe a few more. But, are they really in touch or in tune with their membership.

When we come here, we get answers everyday and any time of the day. There is always advice, not always good, something to learn or an outlet for amusement to share with others in the same industry. Maybe space for the national and state associations with a public access forum and a members only forums that would enable them to share and exchange ideas and answer questions. It would be great to have one that did it all, but with so many other regional and national associations already, that do some real good, it may get lost in the alphabet soup. Of course, if it were spawned from Lawnsite, you already have a devoted following!!!

Kirk
Old 12-28-2005, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"get involved, stop complaining" I have been involved in the green industry since 1977 for my mine and my families livelihood. I have been involved in different associations over the years. Perhaps in some areas of the US they are more effective, I can only speak of my personal experience and stand by my previous posts. Food for thought, an association wants you to pay them a year in advance, guarantees you nothing concrete and says if you really want results you should come to work for us for free after paying our advance fee. We all should try this with our customers, they all pay us a year in advance, no more receivables hassles, and we will leave the mower and they can cut their own lawns
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcolo

Associations work if they are properly structure and have a common goal an vision for their members. As you may know, you pay a fee but you are also welcome to participate in their meetings and different commitees. There are many kinds of associations out there representing different segments of the industry:

Turfgrass Associations
Nursery Associations
Hardscaping Associations
Irrigation Associations
Landscape Contractors
Snow Management Groups
Arborists Associations

I understand sometimes you do not hear from them and you want to get more for the price of your annual membership; however, get involved and stop complaining. Take action! It benefits us all.

Ed Correa, CLT
Terra Landscaping
Dover, NJ