Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2006, 04:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Vonage for about six months now. I wanted to actually use it for a while and see the positives and negatives before I go reviewing something that I know very little about.

Vonage is not trus VOIP for those talking about it. If you are interested in this, you are going to have to wait (at least in NC) for another six months or so. Vonage, for me, has worked great. I can tell absolutely no difference in the service between this and a regular phone line and I love all the features it comes with. I especially like the price and the fact that it is compatible for a business at no extra charge.

I have had no dropped calls and no problems with installation or their customer service. For those scared about the 911 service, I understand. It was actually the reason I waited so long to convert. However they are in the process or working on it, until then it is basically just like calling 911 on a cell phone.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using Lingo for about a year now. It's been great. $19.95 a month and this is with unlimited calls. Was even able to transfer my existing number to them with no problem.

http://www.lingo.com
I don't believe too much in looking back. If you've done well, you're too inclined to become smug. If you've done poorly, you're inclined to become discouraged. Keep looking ahead - yesterday's done with - think about today and tomorrow. - George S. May
Old 02-01-2006, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using Vonage for over 2 years now. It has been a great service for me. I can count on 1 hand the number of problems with dropped/garbled calls. I have heard that if you try to use it with DSL there are more problems. I however use cable. I can't tell the difference between landland and VoIP where I am. As far as the 911 thing, they are working on an enhanced 911 system which is what everybody is used to using. That records your name, address, phone, etc on the call takers screen at the 911 center.It should be up very soon in most markets if it isn't already. And the best part is that I am paying less for a phone and fax line than what I was paying for just 1 phone line with ma bell.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

We just switched to Vonage a two weeks ago and the only thing that I don't like is sometimes the wrong info comes up or nothing at all on the caller id. Thanks for the info on the 911 service.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

We just switched from DSL to Cable and are trying out Vonage and so far it has worked great. We are only using it as a 2nd number/fax line. 24.99 a month for unlimited or 14.99 for 500 minutes a month. Right now the first month of unlimited is free! One of the nice things about Vonage is that you can see both incoming and outgoing calls on line and even check your voice mail on line.

2005 Ford F250 SD Super Cab 4x4, Linex Bed Liner
2006 JD 777 60" MOD
Old 02-04-2006, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had vonage for almost 4 years. In NYC and in Florida. My account number is so low, it doesn't have the correct # of digits. That should tell you how long I have been a satisfied customer.

No more problems than when Ihad a baby bell. $49.99 for the business unlimited line with a second line for fax with 1500 minutes.

This is the future. You have other choices as well, Most cable companies offer a similar service, although usually more expensive and don't have business options.

free call forwarding, you can set up a chain of forwards, you can take the number with you where ever you move,

Check it out.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lingo is the same way. For a business line I think it is the same price.
I don't believe too much in looking back. If you've done well, you're too inclined to become smug. If you've done poorly, you're inclined to become discouraged. Keep looking ahead - yesterday's done with - think about today and tomorrow. - George S. May
Old 02-12-2006, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use Vonage for the house/family line, and my wife's home office line and fax is also Vonage. It works well, but it does drop about 1 call per month. We pay about $65 for 2 voice lines and a fax line, which is the same as I used to pay Verizon for just one voice line.

I use cellular for the business line.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I used vonage for two years and never had a single problem. Quality, service, everything about the company was good. As far as system down problems, thats when all calls were forwarded to my cell. The only thing I didn't like was the 911 service, it never recognized my address. I just recently switched to Time Warners digital phone mainly because their 911 works like a landline and the call is directed to a local call center, also because of the enhanced caller id that shows all my info and a local phone book listing (you won't get in the phonebook with vonage). With the package I just got with Time Warner Cable, I only pay $6 more a month for cable, internet, and phone
Old 02-21-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if I'm moving across town can I take my current business line with me with vonage?