Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2005, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Enough With The Certifications!!!

Here's a thread that should be in the next issue of TURF Magazine;

What's with all of the damm certification programs out there? Is anyone else getting sick of it?

If I want to install Pavers I should be certified with the ICPI...

If I want to install Irrigation, I should get a CIC certification from the IA

AND....if I want to install Raibird products I should get certified with Rainbird

If I want to install LV Lighting, I should get certified by the NILLA

If I want to install retaining walls, I should get certified by both the ICPI and the NCMA

If I want to install putting greens, I should to get certified by AllPro or PuttingGreensTurf or whoever else sells the stuff

If I want to do general landscaping, I should get certified with the ALCO

And even then, I need to decide whether to be a CLT or a CLP

If I want to maintain landscapes, I should get a certification from the PLCAA

If I want to design landscapes, I should get certified by the APLD

If I want to install ponds and water features, I should get certified by Aquascapes Designs

I mean, GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK! What's with the miriad of the certifications these days??? I used to consider getting certified in some things. But now it's just become a big joke. I am sure there is some value to taking the classes and getting certified. But I bet the biggest "value" is in the pocket books of the organizations who are creating these "certification" programs. They are raking in the dough , making everyone think you need to be certified in order for people to recognize you as a legitimate contractor.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-23-2005, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Funny that you mention this, Jim. I was meeting with a property manager last year, and as we were going over the details of our bid, I mentioned a few certifications and association memberships we belonged to. She was like, "that's nice...now about the price here for shrub trimming.."..I was a little embarassed, and felt that I was overselling our company to someone who could have cared less about properly trained crew members on their property, and more about the bottom line.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis
Here's a thread that should be in the next issue of TURF Magazine;

What's with all of the damm certification programs out there? Is anyone else getting sick of it?

If I want to install Pavers I should be certified with the ICPI...

If I want to install Irrigation, I should get a CIC certification from the IA

AND....if I want to install Raibird products I should get certified with Rainbird

If I want to install LV Lighting, I should get certified by the NILLA

If I want to install retaining walls, I should get certified by both the ICPI and the NCMA

If I want to install putting greens, I should to get certified by AllPro or PuttingGreensTurf or whoever else sells the stuff

If I want to do general landscaping, I should get certified with the ALCO

And even then, I need to decide whether to be a CLT or a CLP

If I want to maintain landscapes, I should get a certification from the PLCAA

If I want to design landscapes, I should get certified by the APLD

If I want to install ponds and water features, I should get certified by Aquascapes Designs

I mean, GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK! What's with the miriad of the certifications these days??? I used to consider getting certified in some things. But now it's just become a big joke. I am sure there is some value to taking the classes and getting certified. But I bet the biggest "value" is in the pocket books of the organizations who are creating these "certification" programs. They are raking in the dough , making everyone think you need to be certified in order for people to recognize you as a legitimate contractor.

Agreed, to much emphasis (by cert. companies) placed on what you have, not enough on what you know.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Other than getting more knowledge about specific manufacturer's products they really are worthless.
I have long thought that the key to my success in business is diversification but, I will be doing that with the my required liscenses by the state and continuing edication.
I have 2 associated degrees and I figure that is enough for me. Make a long story short your right about the certifications unless you get product deals for being certified I don't like it at all.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Pro
Agreed, to much emphasis (by cert. companies) placed on what you have, not enough on what you know.
Mega Ditto
Old 11-23-2005, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always thought, and still think, it is silly that I have to get a pesticide license to make lawn applications using products available to homeowners, who don't have to be certified. What's wrong with me getting a bag of Scott's Weed and Feed and putting it down on a lawn?

Oh well, off to do leaf cleanups. Wait, dammit, I don't have my Professional Leaf Vacuuming License!!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Certification with enough training would be beneficial but the way its set up now might as well just print up your cert. docs at home. What about serving an apprenticeship before certification like the trades have to, then you would set your self apart with the knowledge that you spent 2-4 yrs learning under a journeyman before becoming certified
Old 11-23-2005, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem is we do so many different kinds of work Electrical, Plumbing, Plant's install /maintenance, Concrete, Drainage. The industry has just kinda evolved 20 years ago no one was doing low voltage lighting, landscapers were not building big retaining walls. Paver's? who was doing paver's. Even now on the east coast irrigation is kind of a specialty trade. Its our own greed that has brought us to this point. Oh no can't let anyone else make a buck, I have to make it all myself. Now the customers expect it and you really can't put the genii back in the bottle. Imagine if you told a homeowner the same company (not general contractor) was going to do the work, the design, grading, foundation, plumbing, framing, electrical, insulation,drywall, trim, painting, roofing, heat and a/c on their new home, they would think you are nut's . Every one of the trades listed above has not only a certification, but a license to do what they do. Concrete guys don't say oh yeah I can do the framing and electrical too. Only Landscapers are dumb enough to start this madness. So here we are.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
The problem is we do so many different kinds of work Electrical, Plumbing, Plant's install /maintenance, Concrete, Drainage. The industry has just kinda evolved 20 years ago no one was doing low voltage lighting, landscapers were not building big retaining walls. Paver's? who was doing paver's. Even now on the east coast irrigation is kind of a specialty trade. Its our own greed that has brought us to this point. Oh no can't let anyone else make a buck, I have to make it all myself. Now the customers expect it and you really can't put the genii back in the bottle. Imagine if you told a homeowner the same company (not general contractor) was going to do the work, the design, grading, foundation, plumbing, framing, electrical, insulation,drywall, trim, painting, roofing, heat and a/c on their new home, they would think you are nut's . Every one of the trades listed above has not only a certification, but a license to do what they do. Concrete guys don't say oh yeah I can do the framing and electrical too. Only Landscapers are dumb enough to start this madness. So here we are.
I agree but when you have a house built the owner hires a general contractor that either employs the skilled licensed trade or he subs it out to those that do. The average homeoner does not care who does the work [general contractor or subs] as long as its done correctly. The cert. there giving now are nothing more than an 8 hr pep rally for the products and mean nothing.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
I agree but when you have a house built the owner hires a general contractor that either employs the skilled licensed trade or he subs it out to those that do. The cert. there giving now are nothing more than an 8 hr pep rally for the products and mean nothing.
Mac,
Get your certified salt shaker and your certified plow ready, its snowing to beat he!! here. I'm sure you will be seeing it in a few hours.