Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2000, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Two years ago I had a job which justified a Shindaiwa PB27 power broom. Since then I look for ways to make more money with this little unit.<p>The broom works really well removing light piles of sand on pavement (near curbs and such). I also use it to remove stones from grassy areas after winter snow plowing. It does not, in my opinion do a good job moving light snow as the manufacturer suggests. I also use it during dethatching season to get up close around trees, bushes, tight building corners, etc. <p>I also change the cutting head when I need to cut small brush, too. Although I am not overzealous about changing it back and forth alot.<p>How many have one and for what purpose do we drag it out of the shed?<p>gus
Old 04-18-2000, 06:15 PM

I've got two of them. The first one was (I think) the first one sold in the state of Vermont. I bought the original for spring cleaning. I use mine to pull mulch out of beds that I'm renovating as well as all the routine sweeping/raking applications. Seems like if you were into kinky they would make one hell of a fanny paddler!
Old 04-18-2000, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

alan, i am not sure what the hourly rate would be for paddling...
Old 04-18-2000, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought the rubber unit when they first came out.I use it mostly for small and tight area clean-ups.Its great for achorns,small sticks,sand and stones along the road or from snow plows, pushing mulch back into bed areas.It dosen't work well in thicker grass areas for sand and stones or for snow removal on walk ways.This year I bought another unit with the brush.This unit is best used upside down and pulling it toward you.Great for sand in grass areas or spot brushing dead grass areas.I also have an MB Power brush for large areas.They all go togeather very nicely for any situation.
Old 04-18-2000, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking of getting one, what kind of price have you guys paid for it. I like to keep a list of jobs that I can do when the weather is bad or it is dry etc and one is to clear a lot of small trees up to 1 1/2 &quot; across I'm thinking of getting the rubber broom and the cutter head for this job.
Old 04-19-2000, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I paid $570 for mine which included spare air filters (wow)! <p>The cutter head was extra and i believe it was around $100 which included a string trimmer head, too. Make sure you get the right cutter blade for your application; they cost $15-25 each.<p>
Old 04-19-2000, 07:56 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I paid $565 for mine, but I didn't get a spare air filter like Prime Seasons did. <p>I got the roto tiller tines for mine and they work good for tilling small areas. If you put the tines on the one way, it isn't to aggressive, but the reverse way, it will dig a hole if you hold it in one spot.<p>It isn't good for over 2&quot; of snow, but those dustings that have a crust on it, it works great.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-19-2000, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I paid $639.00 for mine.The rubber paddle is most useful for allround use.The only extra I got from the dealer was a big grin and thanks a lot,please come again.
Old 04-19-2000, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The trick in snow is to angle the head like a snowplow, throw it to the side instead of building it up in front of you. Got mine specifically for 2 blocks of medical access walkways that have to be kept passable to canes, walkers, & wheelchairs. Clear the snow, salt good, and when snow starts to build up, power broom into the parking lots (all walks are along lots), and salt again. Sure beats pushing that heavy slush with a shovel.<p>Also handy in springtime cleaning a couple of treelawns at intersections, where a lot of sand is spread and plowed up into lawn. Even used it one fall morning to clean last of leaves off my front yard. Temp was in teens, and leaves & twigs frozen in. Broom cleaned all, even the ice, without hurting grass.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>
Old 04-20-2000, 02:42 PM

Which is better, the rubber broom or the brissals?