Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2001, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a major problem with Trimec this year.
I have used Trimec Classic for the past 5+ years on Fescue lawns with great results. I generally use a backpack sprayer and broadcast over the lawn to kill the growing weeds before the hot summer arrives. After that I spot spray it on the remaining weeds to keep from harming the fescue in the summer.
This past year I had about 3+ gallons of mix left over in a container and decided to use it on my own lawn before mixing new for the customers. It is a good thing I did because about a week later the weeds started dying but it seems the fescue also was harmed. Part of the yard has completely browned out. It has been about 4 weeks now and my yard looks really bad. I did aerate parts and have overseeded with new seed in the past week.
At least all the customer yards are reacting correclty and the fescue was not harmed.
Did something happen to the Trimec during the 8+ months of storage that caused this? Is there anything I can do to the areas that have yellowed or turned light. Seems to be a slow death for some parts of the lawn.
Thanks in advance.... Cleve.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:28 PM
Millenium Member

You can try applying Iron to help with the discoloration, not sure why it is dying unless it was new grass or something else was in the bottles.
Old 03-30-2001, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cleve,
What were the temps when you applied? I know we had a warm spell a few weeks ago here in Va.
Old 03-30-2001, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Temps were not too bad. Seem to remember high 60s at that time. I do know that 3 days later I applied it to about 8 more yards (fresh mix) and those have done just perfectly. In fact, I am planning to reapply in a week or two to get the few weeds left.
But in the past, I have applied Trimec as a broadcast spray right up into May with good results. And into the summer as a spot spray. Even those did well with no damage to fescue around the weeds.
My usual mix is 6 to 8 oz. per 5 gal. water. I use a backpack sprayer for broadcast and a tank spray for spot spraying.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Cleve.
Old 03-30-2001, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My only other thought is if the tank wasn't mixed right in the fall or not agitated this spring?
Old 03-31-2001, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Cleve
Just wandering how much does your backpack sprayer put on per/1000 sqft. I realize it depends how fast you walk. I use
a boom sprayer mounted on 140 JD garden tractor. I put on 1.5 oz. per/1000 sq ft. You might have mixed a little strong I will get a burn like that if I stop and forget to shutoff the boom.
Dave Einck
Pro-Cut Lawn & Hydroseeding Service
Old 03-31-2001, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the onlythings tht will do that are strong mix,to heavy application,real high temps,or high stress.Good thing it was your yard!
Old 03-31-2001, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many thanks for the posts.
I really am thankful that it was my yard.
I guess I may have gotten careless doing something that definitely needs more thought. I have had such good results over the past years and probably didn't take the time to think like I should have. Never had a problem with damage to the turf in the past.
Definitely going to measure amount more carefully for each yard now.
Hope a customer doesn't drive by and see my yard.....!!!
Cleve.