Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-30-2001, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it posible to keep a row of white pines at 8' by cutting them back every year? I have a beautiful Japenese Maple in the middle of my backyard left border 40'. I really want to create an evergreen privacy screen without choking out the maple. I want to use different varieties of pines, spruces, and hemlocks with a controlled height of 8-10'? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2001, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's a tree care forum. It might be more helpful. http://www.arboristsite.com/

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 03-30-2001, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pines are a poor choice for this idea. Pines grow only at tips of branches, and lose needles in third year of needle growth. You would have too much difficulty in keeping a pine to 8 feet, and looking like a pine. Better choice would be a hemlock, slow growing and easier to control.

But overall plan like this will require a lot of maintenance. You are planting species that mature at 40+ feet for a use only 10 feet? Better to use species that mature at 8 to 10 feet, and cut you maintenance time to insignificant compared to trying to keep trees like shrubs. Success with plants is 99% due to cultural practices, and the most important cultural practice is to put the right plant in the right place.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:00 AM
Banned

2 things. maybe you would want to consider either a spruce, a fir, or maybe an arborvitae, or some other large shrub. topping is bad. once you have cut the top out of a tree (apical meristem) that cuts off your growing point and meristematic tissue. then whatever you are gonna get after that will be advantitious buds which are your suckers. i dont think that coniferophytes have that problem. however if you cut the top out i dont think you are gonna have any growth to cover that area. then on top of that the tree will start growing out. so you will have to contain that, and if you cut off the tips the inside will become sparse.