Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Experimented with a couple landscape lights

I have a small transformer from Home Cheapo for the deck lights that I installed a couple years ago and bought 3 cheap $9 spot lights from Home Cheapo the other day. I just pulled some 12/2 wire from the front of my house to the back where the transformer is mounted and set up the 3 low voltage spot lights on my Lyland Cypress, Coral Bark Maple and Crimson Queen Maple in the front of my house and aimed them the way that I thought looked the best. Man does that make a HELL of a difference on the way that the landscape looks at night. I might be going out on a limb with typing this but I think that a properly laid out landscape lighting system will make the landscape look better at night then it looks in the daylight.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Or is this your guys experience once the lighting systems are installed? Do the customers say if they like the look better during the day light or nighttime once the lights are installed?

I guess I am just kind of exceited now about getting a real system installed on the front of my house and probably the rear yard also.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Justin, I don't know if the landscape looks better, but it definitely adds to the value of the landscape. By being able to highlight certain things with lighting, you can eliminate the views of the things you don't want seen. With good lighting, you can really make the feature plants stand out and have given the client much more value for the landscape you installed. Many folks don't get home till after dark and don't get much of a chance to enjoy their landscaping. By installing landscape lighting you have given them the opportunity to enjoy the landscape for much more time and as you have seen, really highlight certain aspects of your design.

While you are out on that limb, try putting a fixture up there and using it for the "moonlighting" effect. Especially with that coral bark maple, the results will be phenomenal.

Kirk
Old 12-02-2005, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Kirk the Coral Bark Maple is only 7-8'. I just put it in this summer and it needs a LOT more years of growth to get a moonlight effect hung on one of the limbs. I will try to take a picture and post it to show a couple trees that I lit up last night.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Justin, use one of the other larger, taller trees and have the light shine on the Coral Bark maple. It will create a dazzling effect.

Kirk