Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Doctor

We are looking at buying a Lawn Doctor franchise. Any exerience or comments?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I worked with a guy "doing landscaping" who used to work for Lawn Doctor.

This guy knew everything about spraying.

That's all that I can add......

Dont kno if it helps ya or not, But It seems to me that everyone that worked there really knew there stuff
Old 12-05-2005, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a friend whose dad bought one in hot springs and moved the business up here. He has been competitive with other businesses like his. He makes good money, and does a great job. To my knowledge he operates out of one van, and stays busy year round.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the capital to start one about 89,900 for a seeding market. up then I would tell you to spend your money on your own business. However if you know nothing about Lawncare, or how to market, sell, then maybe it will be worth your investment. I have a very close friend of mine he owns one, he runs three Vans, but he just left his business this year to work somewhere else. He still owns and operates but took another paying job. That 10 percent commision/fee, and you also have to use only there recommeded equipment, they do not help you acquire accounts that's your own money being spent. BUt to each his own. It nice to have all your marketing material produced, etc. but I am just not sure it is worth the cash. Also, you cant mow or anything else.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know anything about lawn doctor. I do feel compelled to share some thought's.

If you wanted to work for yourself why be chained to a franchise model? Just a an extension of corporate americas puke offerings. I started my own business this year(SAME TYPE AS A LAWN DOCTOR). I spent more than I anticipated but no where near the quoted $90k. It's going to be a lot of hard work no matter what you decide but for a lot less money you can be working for yourself with equal potential.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i looked at them and a few others and they all just seem to take your money and then tell u to spend 30k and up on advertising
for some people its the right fit to have a franchise but not for me
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Doctor

Thanks for the input. I spoke to another franchisee and his territory makes over 500k. Not bad for the investment. I will be doing some more research.
I planned on adding hardscape, irrigation, lighting, and landscape as it grows.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think you can add those services, if you are operating under lawn Doctor's name. Neither do I thin ky ou can own another business such as that and use your lawn doctor customer base. Such as my friend cannot sell me his customer base to market for mowing and we are nto even connected.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you get a chance, pick up the latest copy of Fortune Small Business. It talks about franchises and the problems business owners find with them. Many people have this perception that buying into a franchise is going to give you a jump on competitors. This is not the case. FSB's article shows that franchises actually go out of business more often than non franchise startups! Who would have thought!

If would really like to see you succeed in your business. Go out and explore and experiment. Ask others for their suggestions and then do your own thing.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Franchise is not my first choice. I need the client base and income out of the gate. Not much time for start-up with family and full time job.
I will check out the article in Fortune.