Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2005, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Gas or Diesel

We are signing on appox. one hundred and 110 condos for the snow removal and grass. They are starting another 350 units. Should we be buying diesel or gas mowers and trucks. We would like to have it mowed in a day with 2-3 employees. No Dixie Choppers PLEASE.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't understand your question.

diesel for the trucks for sure. My gas truck gets 9 mph with trailer, the diesel gets 15 MPG. No contest.

for the mowers, depends on size of mower, size of property, weight allowed on turf, budget, # of hours used per year.

diesel mowers are not any more productive in most cases, they are just cheaper to run and higher resale value at any given # of hours.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Diesel trucks for sure. That sounds like a lot mowing to do so i'd recommend diesel mowers to. Take a look at the Hustler Super Z with a 34 hp Cat and a Ferris IS 4500 with 4 wheel suspension and a 28 hp Cat. Diesels are more powerful, cheaper to run because you don't have to service them as often and they burn less fuel than gas engines do.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply and advice. We are looking at appox. 80.00 per month for an 1/8th acre lot. We had a 33 hp 72" Lastec articulator on demo and it was ok until I saw the price tag. We have a demo scheduled on a 997 Diesel Deere. I have an Exmark now and love it but i am conserned about only 25hp on the new diesel model. Thanks for the fuel mileage on the diesel verses gas as well, we are currently getting between 9-10 on a 4cyl. ford ranger, thats with a small open trailer.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I get 19 on my ranger, but no trailer. before you get the Diesel Deere 997 you might want to check out the thread by TonyR. He has had no end to problems with his. Do a search under his name.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision
I get 19 on my ranger, but no trailer. before you get the Diesel Deere 997 you might want to check out the thread by TonyR. He has had no end to problems with his. Do a search under his name.
Yea, I wouldn't recommend a 997 unless you want to spend all your time cleaning grass off of the air intake screen.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

You really think i will have to even in bluegrass i just doesn't seem like we get that build up tony r. is talking about even in the really tall stuff.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Deere 997

I'm the other half of TonyR's 997 discussion. Tony may jump in here to verify but his issue was the rear discharge 60" discharging the tall desert type grass beneath the rear air intake screen which clogged the screen and over heated the engine. Ours is the 72" side discharge. As a comparison we had traded up from the 2001 72" Saber Tooth Tiger Scag. The Deere has the power to go through most grass that the Scag had problems with. BUT beware this is an open terrian machine. It serves best on places where you can cut 5 or 6 passes without coming to a dip or hill that you will scalp. The cut not unexpectedly is better at lower than full speed. At 1800 it is a substantial machine to tow around. We use a 2500HD 6.6 Duramax for that. Expensive yes but they are a good combination if you have the right work to feed it.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Travis
Im a 13 year old girl who runs the 997 for my dad. The 997 is MY beast.
Now your probably thinking, "She's a she and she's 13!?" But I know my stuff. I've been around machines since I was..I don't even KNOW how young I was. Been going to Deere and Bobcat expos since I was at least five. So I kinda know what I'm doing here.
I've listened to TonyR. problems with his 997. But have you actually seen the stuff that this guy goes through. IT'S HAY! Also if you haven't been paying attention he DOES have a rear discharge. As it does say above, which isn't usually what they give you on a 997. It shoots everything out the rear and then gets sucked up into the screen! On the side itjust ...floats away.
This boy is FAST! And I've been through enough horse$**t to know that it can handle it. And since it's DEERE you always know that you can get the parts probably overnight so you don't get behind.
You must realize I'm a big John Deere fan. I really think they should hire me
So don't mess with DEERE or you'll mess with me!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I grew up on deere and now am a kubota man.

Kubota ZD 25 or ZD 28 with 60" pro deck is one bad mother. I am buying two for the spring. Lots of power and will never die since its a kubota.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous