Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

lime question for muddstopper

I noticed in an earlier thread you don't use liquid lime. Why? I assume pulverized over pelletized is a mixing/dissolving issue. What type fertilizers due you use in hydroseeding mix? thanks for info!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

RedClay, I just saw your question.
the reason i dont use liquid lime in my hydroseeding slurry is economics. Liquid lime is simply lime that has been ground so that it will sift thru a 300 mesh screen, and then mixed with clay and water, Pulverized lime is a larger grind, sifting thru a 100 mesh screen but it is all lime. the smaller the grind the faster the lime will react with the soil so the liquid lime will give a faster reaction time than pulverized lime, but when you consider that a 2.5 gal jug of liquid lime, which cost around $25 per jug, only contains about 11lbs of actual lime, the rest is water and clay, you can see where a 50lb bag of pluverized lime that cost around $2 a 50 bag is more cost effective. Even tho the liquid lime is finer material each granual only has the capacity to neutralize approx a 1/8 in radius around the grain of lime. I can get just as many grains of lime in the $2 worth of pulverized lime as I can with the $25 worth of liquid lime. the liquid lime will translocate down into the soil faster than the larger particle pulverized lime but the Calcium Carbinate Equiviant is about the same. this meas it will take the same amount of lbs of liquid lime as it would pulverized lime to balance the Ph of the soil. It takes about 200gals of liquidlime products to equal the same CCE of one ton of pulverized lime. Do the math, pulverized lime is a lot cheaper to use and provides the same benefits. In fact in my area i need dolomitic lime which contains magnesium. Most liquid lime products dont contain any magnesium. If I used liquid lime products i would also have to buy magnesium seperate and add to the slurry, which would drive the cost up even more.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for reply muddstopper; thought a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs replacing bags and bags of lime sounded too good to be true!

Have you ever used "bioenzymes" or "growth stimulants"? if so what were results?

Read something a while back about using them when hydroseeding to stop erosion after forest fires. the contractor in story gave favorable reviews. I understand the theory of replacing anzymes and bacteria destroyed by the intense heat. just wondering if any real value unless ground is terrible( no topsoil left after grading)?? any thoughts??
Old 12-19-2005, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't get me wrong on Liquid Lime, Its a good product if your soil has a near neutral Ph. A little liquid lime in the slurry helps offset the acid caused by the fertilizers. Liquid lime is what it is. The CCE is printed on the label.

As for the bio enzymes and growth stimulants. They do work to a certain extent. The problem is more with the advertising of the products than the product themselfs. Sort of like the liquid lime claims. One jug will do acres and acres. Not going to happen. Al tho it could if the proper follow up treatments necessary for their survival are added to the microbes and such. Microbes need food to. Just throwing a bunch of them on the soil without a food source means they will soon die instead of establish. That is one of the big problems with the organic crowd. They want to add compost and teas, yada, yada to their lawns to get microbes and think they are doing great. Then they starve the microbes to death or to the point that they are non-effective. They use organic fertilizer like alfalfa and cornmeal and such and think in the terms of NPK when they should be thinking of Calories and proteins. Food for the microbes. Cant say I blame them for thinking this way, we have been taught for years that grass needs NPK to survive. Manufacturers of the bio products think the same way, thats why their product always seem to come up a little short of expectations. Feed the microbes and they will feed the grass.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the way you think. not just fertilizing or applying something you are feeding the grass.

reminds me of conversation I heard between golf course superintendant and golfer asking why his newly seeded/heavily fertilized lawn looked terrible. the analogy used wasthis: you wouldn't feed your new baby a 3 or 4 month supply of food at one time right? why would you try to feed baby grass that way? thanks for the insight
Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly, feed the baby to much or the wrong things and it wont be a healthy baby long.

Just for info. Soil Secrets is the only organic product manufacturer that i know of that sells a complete organic material that can be used in hydro seeders. They sell the microbes as well as the food source. The products are not currently available on the east coast except by truckloads quantities. I am working on that and hopefully we will have a supplier in Alpharetta Ga before long. They are committed to bringing in the products as soon as they are sure they can move it. Sort of like putting the egg before the chicken. Cant try it if we cant buy it. If you are interested in organics that work, I suggest that you contact Ewing Irrigation In Alpharetta Ga and tell them you want to try the Soil Secrets Products.

To others that read this, the Soil Secret products are not limited to hydro seeding applications. They work great for topdressing and as replacement to chemical fertilizers.

Disclaimer,
I don't work for, nor have any connection with Soil Secrets or any of their suppliers or distributors. I will benefit in no way if you, after your due diligence, you decide to use or not to use their products. My sole purpose in posting about their products is so that others will try them and hopefully convince distributors to make the product more readily available in my area.