Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Business Address/Home Address

So I'm thinking of starting up next year and wonder if anyone has an opinion on wether or not i should use my home address or use a po box address. if i start i plan to run the biz out of the house and keep the trailer in the driveway. suggestions? opinions?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

When we started, we didn't think about using our home address as a negative. In hindsight, I wish we would have went with a p.o. box instead.
(We've had people who have been in the area who stopped by unannounced to drop off a payment, I really don't dig that).
I realize we could change now, but after 7 years, I don't want to deal with any customer confusion of an address change.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldnt you just be able to re-route anything with your company name on it to the new address, or po box in you case? So as long it was labeled with your company name, yet still had your home address, itd still go to the po box.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jodi,

Can totally see your point on that. Would not want to be sitting down Sunday evening with the family and all of a sudden have some one at the door talking about work or even payment. However, I do see the argument for the other side of the coin as well. I know that there are many people out there that feel like a business most be more professional if they have a hard(real estate) address and not just a po box. Some may feel that it is a fly by night company. On the other hand I to started my business out of my home and now have been thinking the same thing.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run out of a private mail box. Everything I do or own runs thru there, even my license is registered there. Makes it nice because I can travel with no worries about mail and have moved a few times and never worried about address change. Also never messes kids school district.

Never had a customer think twice about it. Most business around here have a P.O. or P.M.B.

BUT, Our wonderful US postal service does not like private mail boxes and is making it very hard to sent mail there. They keep changing how they want P.M.B. stated on the letter and if it is not perfect they will kick it back to sender. They want you to use P.O. boxes instead.
The reason I went with Private is it will accept UPS or Fed Ex.
Post office will not (again the want to eliminate the competition)

I am about to move all addresses to a home that I have that is being used as out main office now. There is someone there every day so the travel thing will be addressed and yet it is not where I live
Old 12-09-2005, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a PO Box just for that very reason that Jodi stated. And again, if i move. I don't have to deal with the business mail moving or getting lost.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used my home address for my business and in 5 years I have never had anyone stop. I guess I'm lucky
Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have a choice, home address for me!!!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 12-09-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

To piggy back on this thread, similar question, what about a seperate phone line for running a business out of the home? Benefits, your 5 year old won't answer it hopefully, you can answer it professionally. But, then we have to pay for it and I know how we watch the pennies in this industry. It could pay off though...thoughts?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

well, i started this thread, so here is my opinion...on both. i think i've been convinced to get a po box instead of using my home address. as far as the phone idea, i think it's a great idea, for any business. i have a cell phone i'd use. the idea of being able to control who and when it's answered is great. my son who is 8 answered the phone the other night when i decided to let my mother in law go to the answering machine. kids!