Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Granted I'm not really a "business", I've never used a blower BUT I'm getting one this spring so i can do better work. I've always gone over the side walk like you said but that takes entirly too much time and doesn't do a good job. I'm currenty in college working on a Landscaping degree so i mainly do friends yards but plan on expanding this summer.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks PMLawn

that solves the problem. i can provide good service, but not get too far behind in debt.....just have to find some cardboard.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatka
that solves the problem. i can provide good service, but not get too far behind in debt.....just have to find some cardboard.
Getting the cardboard is easy. Learning the proper technique is the hard part

You can use a broom. Slow but will do the job till you get more money. I have seen used handhelds for $25.00 Do some garage sale shopping

Good luck
Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just to concur with the others. If you want to do a professional looking job you will most definitely need a blower. Yard doesn't look much better then when it is well manacured, edged, and everything is blown off nice.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hate the damn things, if everyone would obey the law then I wish they would ban them. That is the talk out here all the time, banning blowers. Problem is most overuse them, blow crap from hell to breakfast. It is really much faster to reach under a plant and pick up 70-80 % of the leafs than to blow 99% of them to the other end of the block then forget the pile, err... I mean pick them up. I worked for about a year without one. I had no problems took a little longer but no big deal the clients really appreciated the quiet. I even have a few who will not let us use them and thats fine with me too. As I got more employees they whined more and I broke down and bought blowers but they know if I see them blowing stuff all over I 'll take it away from them. One day the first time, a week the second, bye bye the third time. Yes you can get along without them.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
I hate the damn things, if everyone would obey the law then I wish they would ban them. That is the talk out here all the time, banning blowers. Problem is most overuse them, blow crap from hell to breakfast. It is really much faster to reach under a plant and pick up 70-80 % of the leafs than to blow 99% of them to the other end of the block then forget the pile, err... I mean pick them up. I worked for about a year without one. I had no problems took a little longer but no big deal the clients really appreciated the quiet. I even have a few who will not let us use them and thats fine with me too. As I got more employees they whined more and I broke down and bought blowers but they know if I see them blowing stuff all over I 'll take it away from them. One day the first time, a week the second, bye bye the third time. Yes you can get along without them.
I have heard of the proposed bands, What do you do to get the grass off the walks? Keep in mind that we have some VERY wet grass at times that sticks to everything.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can't go with out a blower, my first year it was a pushbroom, that was hell, and ive tried with my exmark cleaning off the drives, you end up dropping stuff off from you deck onto the drive in the process and you can't the stuff that goes under cars and in corners with just the mower. COMMERCIAL MOWER, BLOWER, AND TRIMMER, the three main pieces of landscape equipment IMO. (not counting truck and trailer) GOOD LUCK!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers