Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Part-time insurence?

Howdy all. Plan on starting my own business in Buffalo Gap Texas. Going to Tarleton State Univerity for Landscaping. Question is do i need insurence for just mowing 2-3 yards a week. I have a part time job on a ranch so I don't have to depend on these yards. Plus all i have is the bare essentials= 2 riding mowers, a weedeater, chainsaw. Plan on getting cheap pushmower and blower. Do i need insurence or not? I've busted a window before but i was mowing for a trailerpark so they paid for it. I know its a good idea but afraid i won't need/can't afford it for just 3 months(Summer2006). Any Hints? Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

so what happens if you throw a rock and put out someone's eye?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lawyer won't care if you are in business 5 minutes a week or 50 hours a week nor will little Jonnie's mother if you propel a rock thru his eyeball.
Granted your "exposure" to the risk of that happening is far less than if you are full time but the risk is still there.

Personally I would never start a commercial machine on anyone's property unless I had liability insurance. Is it worth the risk of a 6 figure lawsuit which could ruin you financially? Only you can make that decision.

I once saw a picture of a broken commercial mower blade that was launched from a mower that ended up across the street embedded in the siding of a neighbors house. If this had hit someone it could have killed them.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just love it...Everyone thats wants to start a lawn business the first question they ask is if they need insurance.. Do you drive a truck or car and are you insured on the vehicles??? YES you are and why for protection..Now you go to work at a customers house your mowing,trimming or blowing and something happen eds (and trusty me it will happend) a piece of debris flies from any of your equipment and hits someone near by.. guess what your the one they will blame and you get to pay for any doctor visits hospital stays or even sue your azz off.. Say goodbye to your business, house, cars, etc.. Again your question was do you need insurance???yes you do. and there is a lot more to worry about than just insurance to run a lawn business..Sorry for sounding mean but it's just business..
Old 12-10-2005, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

where is grassyfrass on this one?????

yes you need insurAnce..
all it takes is one accident to financially ruin you for life.....
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 12-10-2005, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Insurance is a wise investment, for either full or part time. I am thinking of changing companies myself so I got a new quote yesterday; $515 a yr. for 1,000,000 lib. coverage. I am currently paying over a hundred $ more a yr. so probably going to change first of the year. NC