Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2005, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LVLIA Membership

I am wondering if there are any other members of the LVLIA on this forum? It appears that there are contractors on this site that are truly interested in low voltage landscape lighting, and would probably benefit from the Low Voltage Lighting Institute of the Americas. You can find out more about them at www.lvlia.com . If anyone has any questions for me, go ahead and ask, I will do my best to answer. I am a member and I will be attending the conferance in February.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I have heard different opinions about Livia membership being worth it or not.
What are your opinions on the benefits of membership. Thinking about joining
Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As I get to know the members of the LVLIA, I see that most of us are trying very hard to promote standards for the industry. I am a legislation commitee member and we meet every month by conferance call to discuss how we can get states to use our testing instead of requiring installers to have either a master electricians license (see Rhode Island) or a low voltage license that covers all low voltage systems under 24 volts (see New Mexico). States are really looking at the low voltage lighting industry and we are letting them know that we are setting standards that will insure safety for the public. The LVLIA has the ONLY NON PROFIT certification in the country. Please call them and visit the web site www.lvlia.com . The main reason for joining, I think, is that by supporting the lvlia, you will have a bigger voice in the government that is looking to regulate the industry. The more members, the bigger the voice. There is also the fact that the very best in the industry, including Janet Lennox Moyer, who is considered to be the very best is the world. Everyone in the industry should read her book, The Landscape Lighting Book. It is the "bible" of the industry. Do I think things could be better? Yes, but I believe the best way to fix things is to get under the hood and you can't do that from the outside. Join, get involved and show the industry that you are one of the best and your going to prove it by making the industry better!!

NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
Old 12-16-2005, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, other than the legislative and certification benefits, what else does the LVLIA offer contractors and designers. There are many associations that take our money and fight for our rights, which is very important, but what are the tangible benefits? Do they offer local training, meetings, trade shows or conferences? What does your $175 per year get you?

Kirk
Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They don't have local training as of yet. This organization has only been around for about 6 years now and is in it's infant stages. I have only been a member for 2 years, so I will try to be of as much help as possible. They have a trade show and conference every February in Scottsdale, AZ. That is also the time that they have their certification exam. I pulled this off of the LVLIA web site. It is a list of benefits.

Immediate Recognition in the Industry as a Professional because you belong to a Non Profit National Association & Landscape Lighting Industry.

Opportunity to network with and learn from large firms across the country which are Designers and Installers of Low Voltage Lighting Systems.

Expand your referral base. As a member of LVLIA® any consumer contacting LVLIA will be given your name as a professional contractor in their area of residence.

Receive a quarterly newsletter with informative articles written by other members of LVLIA.

Receive a Certificate of Membership in LVLIA along with copy ready LOGO for use in your brochures and on your letterhead.

Receive a beginners supply of LVLIA® brochures which you can include in your own company brochure.

Gain a voice in government affairs relating to the Low Voltage Lighting Industry and stay informed on issues that will affect your business.

Receive a comprehensive directory of LVLIA® members.

Have the ability to get involved and help to shape a rapidly growing and changing Low Voltage Lighting Industry. All of the Board of Directors and committees of LVLIA® are volunteers. We believe in the future of this industry and wish to expand and preserve the professionalism of our members. Getting involved will only give you greater benefits of LVLIA® and will better preserve your future.

They also have started an online forum. This is very new though, and there's not much on there yet. The main thing I would say is that it puts you in contact with the very best in the industry. These people uphold a standard and ethic that is raising the bar in this business.

NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, I like their ideals, but if they aren't teaching it, who is? Other than the new forum and a once a year trade show & conference, how do you exchange ideas and learn this standard and ethics? Is the exam at the conference the only place and time you can achieve the certification? I read the web site and it looks great, but would appreciate any of your thoughts of the organization and it's benefits to your business. Have you seen results from the listed benefits?

Kirk
Old 12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kirk, when you join, they send you the "Standards for the installation of low voltage landscape and architectural lighting systems". They also send you a code of ethics. Manufacture members like Kichler, Hadco and FXL are great at training people who want to learn how to install, maintain, and service low voltage lighting. I also talk to different members all the time on the phone or email. We discuss things like transformers, service contracts, lamps, etc.

The certification exam is only offered once a year, at this time. The exam is in 8 parts and takes awhile to do. There is a written section and 7 hands on sections. The examiners have to all come together to give the exam.

The results I've seen as being a member? I am one of only 8 members in the state of Texas. When clients here or see that I am a member of the LVLIA, they know that I am a true professional in my field and many have told me that it is one of the factors in their decision to hire me.

NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
Old 12-16-2005, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul is the "Standards for the installation of low voltage landscape and architectural lighting systems" a manual or technical reference compiled by the LVLIA®? Hopefully that Code of Ethics is something we should all be following as professionals. I have been to many of the seminars and found them to be educational but also a marketing pitch. That's important and helpful that there is a network among members.

What is the exam based on? I like the 7 to 1 ratio as hands on. I can see the logistical nightmare in getting everyone together, testers and testees. It's just tough to fly across the country to take a test,

You are lucky to be recognized as a professional due to your association. Around here, most don't care about what certification, affiliation or education you have, just when or how much. Those things just make us more money and better educated. Are you certified and are any of your staff certified?

Kirk
Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kirk, the "Standards" booklet is compiled by the LVLIA. It's table of contents includes areas such as;

Lighting designs and contracts
General specifications
Installation procedures
Materials
Trees and tree wiring procdures, etc.

I know what you mean about the "sales pitch seminars". There is also a manufacturer that offers a certification, but you have to use their materials. That pretty much means that if you go to their seminar and by their products, you will be certified.

I took the certification exam last year and did not pass!!! I am going to take it again in February, and this time I will pass!!

The hands on exam includes things like installation, service, troubleshooting, and design. There is also a 125 question written exam.

This test is designed to make sure that those who are certified, really know what they are doing. I have been an electrician for 15 years and thought I knew enough to pass their "little test". OOPPSS

NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
Old 12-17-2005, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, I believe this field is going to grow tremendously and will need good representation. It sounds like the LVLIA is very serious about their role. I will definitely investigate and hopefully get the opportunity to speak with more members. I certainly appreciate you sharing all of this information and displaying your passion for a developing segment of the industry.

Kirk