Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Firewood Is The Key To Ending The Year With A Bang!

WE DO FIREWOOD TO SUPLEMENT THE INCOME AND STAY BUSY ALL YR AND THIS YEAR ITS NUTS, I PUT MY FIRST ADD OF THE YR IN TO START FOR NOVEMBER 1 2005 AND WE ARE DELIVERING MORE CORDS THAN I HAVE THOUGHT POSSIBLE.ON AVERAGE ME AND MY HELPER DO 5 TO 6 LOADS A DAY WITH OUT KILLING ARE SELF AND THE CALLS ARE NON STOP,THEY START CALLING AT 6:30 IN THE MORNING AND DONT STOP UNTIL 9:00
PM.FROM NOV 1 THRU TODAY I HAVE DELIVERED 126 CORDS OF WOOD WITH ONE TRUCK AND WE HAVE APROXIMATELY 125 MORE LEFT THAT ARE ALREADY CUT AND SPLIT ON THE GROUND READY TO GO.WE GET ALL THE WOOD FROM A LOCAL GUY WHO IS IN THE TREE BUSINESS WHO HAS A WOOD PROCESSOR (GOOD FRIEND OF MINE).WE MAKE IN OUR POCKET $ 110 TO $125 PER LOAD "AFTER" BUYING THE WOOD (5 TO 6 A DAY $$$$) .WE DONT GO MUCH FURTHER THAN 15 MILES FROM THE PIT SO WE DONT GO THRU ALOT OF FUEL.ITS HARD WORK BUT IM NOT SITTING ON MY BUTT WATCHING JERRY SPRINGER.IF WE RUN OUT OF WOOD I JUST FOUND A GUY DOWN THE ROAD WHO DOES WOOD WHO WILL GIVE ME A GOOD DEAL,HIS FAMILY HAS STUMP AND TREE DISPOSAL BUSINESS AND HAS PLENTY OF WOOD ALLSET TO GO.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

how long do you let the wood sit to season. how much wood is in a cord. I have thought about this also

2001 Ford F-350 Crew Cab
1995 Ford F-450 Dump Truck
Hustler 52" Z
Toro 44" WB
Shindiawa T272 Trimmer
Honda 4 Cycle Edger
Redmax EB 7001 Blower
Echo PB 620 Blower
16' open landscape trailer
16' enclosed trailer with full power wash set up
Old 12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the guy i buy all the wood from lets the wood sit for 1 year and then he sends it thru the wood processing machine,gets cut split and then up conveyor into the pile.a cord is 4ftx4ftx8ft ..i have been told by old timers in the wood business that a true cord is measured before split at those measurements but we load are masondumps wrightup to the hilt and have not ever got a complaint.if your gonna try to make money at this try and look at a suplier of wood unless you have lots of free time to split and cut wood.my friend in the wood business loves being the supplier ,he gets all the wood from the jobs hes done ,he has the proc machine,the log truck so this is all cash in the winter for him and i make a boatload just delivering the wood ..goodluck i hope i helped out