Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2000, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if most leave the guard on their trimmer or remove it? I know around here almost all the commercial cutters remove the guard. I have always left my guards on, but today I took my guard off just to see how I liked it. I was amazed at how much lighter and easier it was to handle. What does everybody else do?<p>Jay
Old 04-19-2000, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I leave mine on, never tried it without it in place. I have enough crap hit me all day without inviting more! Did it increase the # of &quot;hits&quot; ?<p>Homer
Old 04-19-2000, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Member

The first thing I do when I buy a new trimmer is remove the guard. The guard cuts off the end of the string, and it also lighter. I do reccomend wearing some protective lenses or sunglasses.
Old 04-19-2000, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i take mine off i like to keep my string real long i can cover alot of area like that and when you get hit with a rock just smile real big and work harder, its no big deal, <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-19-2000, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'VE REMOVED ALL OF MY GUARDS,BUT WAS THINKIN' OF REPLACING THEM WITH SOMETHING ELSE.I WEEDEAT A MARINA AND PULLING FISH BONES OUT OF YOUR LEG IS NO FUN.NOT TO MENTION THE OCCASIONAL CACTUS!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 04-19-2000, 07:40 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We take ours off, but wear safety glasses. All I can see that they do is cut the string and make it heavier. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-19-2000, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we also take ours off, but be careful by taking off the guard it voids the warranty for some companies.
Old 04-19-2000, 08:46 PM

I took one off and left one on.I left one on so when i edge and stuff with it i don't get rocks and dirt in my face and on the other trimmer i took it off. without the guard it's easier to get around trees and fence posts without walking all the way around. but watch that you don't use to much line at one time or you will kill the engine. or if your stings are two different sizes you will put it off balance.
Old 04-19-2000, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I take them off right out of the box, IT is much fater to trim around trees without the guards, Your going to take some hits on the legs without out the guard, But you will walk less, And do wear eye protection, Plus your string can be longer to cover more area.