Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody mount a fire extinguisher on ROPS?

Anybody mount a fire extinguisher on ROPS of ZTR? I'm thinking about mounting one on my SCAG and wondered if anyone had any comments or photos?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

thought of doing that myself.

burnt up a dixie years ago,shoulda had one mounted on it...
great idea..
Old 12-26-2005, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just keep in mind that since a ROPS is a safety device, any altering of it (i.e. drilling holes for mounting) will void the warranty and any claims made against the manufacturer for any injuries as a result.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good idea,we run enclosed trailers we keep 1 in it at all times.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Idea. Try one of those extinguishers that are made for cars. There not super huge and come with mounting brackets. i put one on the fender of a tractor a few years ago. don't have any pics of it available though.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Mount it with tie straps they will hold it up. had one on my Kubota M-4700 for over 5 years and the tie straps are still holding it. I used the big black ones. And will have one on the Feris 4500 when i get it in late Feb or early march..
Pete
M4700 Kubota with loader
7 ft woods finish mower
6ft Bushhog
7ft Landscape rake
10ft bushhog
6ft,8ft and 10ft disk
6ft bush and bog disk for the rough stuff
forks for loader
Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's the point in mounting on the ROPS? Most peoples ROPS are in the garage, in the scrap heap, or have been cut up to make other more useful items other than a tree catcher/deck lifter/head smasher/carport crasher/clothesline strecher/mower flipper overer...

If you use large zip ties, make sure you only put them around the holder for the extinguisher and not the whole bottle... :alien:

No matter what you do... It is a good idear to carry an extinguisher! Expecially if you have insurance on your equipment! You still have the chioce to let it burn and get a new one but at least the the insurance company can see that you were prepared, which makes it more likely that they will pay out!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose
What's the point in mounting on the ROPS? Most peoples ROPS are in the garage, in the scrap heap, or have been cut up to make other more useful items other than a tree catcher/deck lifter/head smasher/carport crasher/clothesline strecher/mower flipper overer...

so when you flip your ztr and break your neck, while you're in the hospital or dead you can look back and think of how lucky you were to have that extinguisher in the event of a fire.

i think the extinguisher is a great idea, for home, trailer, vehicle, or mower. good thinking.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereHauler
so when you flip your ztr and break your neck, while you're in the hospital or dead you can look back and think of how lucky you were to have that extinguisher in the event of a fire.

i think the extinguisher is a great idea, for home, trailer, vehicle, or mower. good thinking.
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with the fire extingushier is a must have too! I have 4 of them and will be getting at least 2 more soon and mounting them in my new truck and another on my main mower. I hope they never get used!

I just think that ROPS are, 90% of the time, more of an accident causer than a preventer.

People that ride 4 wheelers can get killed from a filp over accident too. you don't see them coming out with roll bars, do you? It's not even an option. If you want something that's roll over safe you buy a buggy with a roll cage. It pisses me off that not everyone wants or needs a ROPS but yet every mower (almost) is coming out with them standard. If you have trees, or a 2nd story deck, or a swing set, or... and so on and so on... you CAN'T access these areas with the ROPS attached. If you try too you can get hurt! You wouldn't have gotten hurt or done any damage without the ROPS in these areas.

To adapt a quote from someones signature line here: If sence were common, they wouldn't need ROPS on every mower!