Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Some Joker........

In Amherst NY there is some guy going around sealing 1000 sqft. drives for $35. What a way to ruin the market. Saw the work and it looks like watered down crap.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the "competition" in the Chicago area that I have to deal with. It's too bad that this business isn't harder to get into. A couple of buckets and a broom and your a sealcoating professional!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

You could keep an eye on the guy and after he does a driveway you could go to the homeowner and hand them some asphalt sealing info and tell them to be sure and call you next spring after all his sealcoat has disappeared from their driveways. Tell them its a good thing he is watering down his stuff to the point it probably wont last. Tell them this will allow you to apply your high quality product directly to their driveways without it being contaminated by the mess he is slopping down.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I frequently do stop and drop a card. I will also stop by the following spring and refresh their memory. My favorite was when a "competitor" was working on the same street and ran out of material half way through a driveway. It was an older couple, and they asked if I would finish the job for them. This was after they told me my price was too high and went with the other guy. I made a deal with them and did the last twenty feet or so. The next year, they called me back to do the entire drive for them. The section the other guy did looked like it hadn't't been sealed in a decade. No more arguments from the couple. Man, I wish I would have had a digital camera then, would have been the greatest marketing photo for quality ever.