Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

If you insist on building your own unit, get a 2” Wilden air-operated, dual-diaphragm pump.

However, you will most likely spend the same amount (plus your time and effort) in building your own unit versus just buying a professional seal coating unit. I mean by building a real, professional unit with a round tank and hydraulic agitation, not one of those plastic totes with a trash pump setups people on this forum seem to worship.

EVERY high-quality sealer requires some sand. Even stuff at home depot sold in buckets has some sand. The pump on those plastic tote setups are cheap trash pumps designed for pumping water from flooded basements and things like that. They are not designed to transfer and apply the heavy sand loads a professional sealer mix should contain.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

DJ
If your talking about using a graco with a sq tank, you still will not be able to get your mix to where it needs to be. It would work, but you will not get the full benefit without a steel tank w/ agi.
Go to www.graco.com
Entry level is a #1040 is a 1" in/outlet, pumps 1 qt per cycle. I would suggest going up to #1590 for a few bucks extra. It is a 1 1/2" in/out and pumps 1/2 gal per cycle. I have had good luck with Hytrel balls & seats.
Since I was broke when I started, I HAD to build most of my equipment so I guess I disagree with sealandcoat on that matter. Iam still wishing I could afford to buy a seal rite unit. I like to build things, so even if I could afford to buy it, I would still build it. If you dont count your time, you could save thousands off a $14,000. unit. If you want $25. per hour for your time, youll burn up most of the savings. You need a good amount of free time to build this stuff. I do it in the winter, cooold up here.
Ive been using graco pumps for 7 years, and never had any problems. I here many good things about wilden pumps as well
Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Lots of people do build their own tanks, but it really depends if you have the parts and resources available. Winter is a good time to do it since you aren't really missing out on any work.

If you could find an old steel tank, all you need to do is cut a hole in the top as a manway and door to add sealer, and then a hole at each end in the middle for the shaft so you can mix it. Then you either have to build a trailer, or put it on a trailer. Just keep in mind that these units get heavy when they are full so if your trailer isn't heavy duty enough it will be sitting on the ground.

Keep checking on ebay, there are always good deals on seal coating units and tanks. And you can convert most tanks into spray units pretty easily.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

275 polytank,5.5 intek and pacer pump

Howdy Fella`s,
I`ve been sealcoating for about 5 years,before I started up my ex-boss had a steel tank,I wanted to get 1 for myself,But costs too much if your on a limited budget.So i went with the polytank,5.5 intek and pacer pump.i`ve been running the same setup for 5 years,as far as sand mix goes,here In new jersey I don`t know of any sealing company that uses it,not even myself.steel or poly setup`s.all my hoses are 2',product hose is 3/4,polyethelene fitting from northerntool,tank i got from somewhere on the internet,that was $195.00,the only downfall with the sqaure tank is you`ll have 20-30 gallons sit on the bottom,below the outlet,to get around that,i tilt up the tank when I clean it out every month(yes every month)before it hardens or breaksdown and becomes sludge.cleaning only takes a few hours,i run hot water thru whole system as if i`m sealing a driveway,take the pump apart and check impeller,it`s not hard.the only thing Ive changed on this system was a few gaskets,this year i`m selling this 1 off,and i`m gonna make up a new setup using the same thing but 2-330 gallons tanks,2' impeller pump(cast iron)to see how it works.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone I know who owns this cheap unit seems to speak very highly of it. They get alot of work and pay it off and make profits very soon after buying it. The guys with the expensive equipment always have their noses up in the air when they drive past him.. but guess what... the guys with the cheap units get just as much work as the expensive guys.

The guys with the expensive units feel like those with the cheap units don't deserve to get the work I guess.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Those Units Are A Joke. They Dont Mix The Sealer Properly
Old 05-06-2008, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

They are a big Joke, I'd be willing to do a job right next to one done with these joke boxs and bet 5000.00 my drive would be 100 times better. The people saying these age great must be the same one selling them. I wear out a tip on every drive I do. So tell me how a plastic pump can last three years unless they aren't adding sand. When somebody slips on your nonsand seal jobs you be sorry!!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be willing.....

to bucket/55 gallon drum all of my customers 2x2 driveways and put it next to yours w/ the high priced equipment. Mine would look better.

Just like everyone says the grass gets a better cut using a commercial mower over a murray tractor.....not, its just faster.

1. buckets (21" push mower) = good job/more time

2. trash pump (lawn tractor) = good job/less time

3. 10g trailer system (Name brand ZTR) = good job/even less time/holds more sealant/looks more professional

BOTTOM LINE - they all do the same job.

Peace
Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PS....I'd like to say...

I've never sealcoated a thing in my life.

Just throwing my .2 cents in for the heck of it (bored at work) based on past experience and private IM's w/ people who own trash pump systems.

Peace
Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I tell you what, Mix the material in the joke box the way I mix it and we will see how the pump sprays it. If a pro mixer gets stuck every now and then, how in the world could a plastic pump move it!
This is an excerpt from an actual court ruling in Arkansas regarding the use of sand in pavement sealers and fall injury liability.

Although it was not raining and the asphalt was not wet, she found it to be very slippery. The deposition of Mr. Walker was also very informative. He stated that he has been in the sealing business for a number of years and that until about 1987 he mixed sand into his sealing compounds. However, he discontinued this practice and when he sealed the Bonanza parking lot in August 1989 he did not use sand. The evidence suggested that it is customary for sealers to use sand for this purpose. Mr. Walker produced an invoice which read, "Caution, sand or slag recommended in all sealer applications." Despite this warning, he failed to use sand when he sealed the Bonanza parking lot. Mr. Walker remembered that the manufacturer said that it may be necessary to mix sand in the sealant on inclined areas. Kelly Hale, manager of the Jonesboro Bonanza, also gave a deposition. He stated that between August 1989 and December 1989, when Mrs. Trent fell, at least three other ladies had slipped and fallen in the same area of the parking lot. Before Mr. Walker sealed the lot there had not been a problem with people slipping in this area, and prior to Mrs. Trent's accident KMS had taken no action to remedy the problem.