Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssupercoolss View Post
you can go sealcoating with one of these things. i am here to tell you that no matter how much you recirculate this tank, it will never mix the stuff thats laying in the corners. never. saying you dont need sand in sealer is like saying you dont need blades on a lawn mower. and if you are out there sealing with out sand, you shouldnt be. you would be up for a huge law suit if you were to go do some commercial work with no sand. its like a skating rink when wet. this is the worst set up i have ever seen, and its target market is for people that just dont know any better. you have to have a full sweep aggitator to mix sealer properly.

You'll have to reread my post I never did say that sand was not needed nor did i say that my friend or i did not use it, i merely stated that where we are from it wears off. i agree with the agitation however if i'm not mistaken how will the material be agitated once you switch from agitation to spraying? I know on the hand agitated systems you agitate once you get on the job then you spray correct.
05' 48" Ariens 2148XL ZTR W/Grass Catcher
06' 36" Gravely W/B W/Grass Catcher
06' 1 Ryobi Trimmer
09 Echo SMR 210 trimmer
09 Ryobi hand-held blower
06' Mclane Edger
? Craftsman self propeled W/Bagger(was giving to me)
? Toro Recycler ll W/Bagger I picked up at a rummage sale for $5.00
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

actually to clear up a few things for the guy who said he mixes his sealer 35% water 65%sealer thats wrong. the correct way is 20-40 gallons of water per hundred gallons of sealer. and 300-500 lbs of sand per 100 gallons a little less water for AE than CT. And as for aggitation poly tanks dont agiatate and as for hand or power agiatation it does not matter because when you are sealing the tank is not being agitated. I have seen and used the poly systems and I have sealmaster custom units, so I personally know how these systems work and I will say this the 275g poly trash units all your doing is spitting black water. I just think some people are a little nieve and they think they know how sealcoat equipment works and how to mix.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

if you want to do percents when mixing it should be 30-40 percent of 100 gallons not 35 gallons of water 65 gallons of sealer,,, rookie mistakes
Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

the sealer stays agitated for a while after u mix it as long as it doesnt get too cold at night and you dont let it sit for more than a week or so I personally agiatate my tanks before every job for at least 10-15 minutes
Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

My monkey is a handle I pull to turn on the hydraulic agitator that runs before, and during the whole seal job.

I have a commercial parking lot going on three years, I wish it needed to be resealed. I would love to seal it again. My top of the line mix comes out just like corse black sand paper. I just looked at one I did last year, and It is just the way I left it. No wear!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coater View Post
My monkey is a handle I pull to turn on the hydraulic agitator that runs before, and during the whole seal job.

I have a commercial parking lot going on three years, I wish it needed to be resealed. I would love to seal it again. My top of the line mix comes out just like corse black sand paper. I just looked at one I did last year, and It is just the way I left it. No wear!!!
It's like talking to a wall here if your that sure of your jobs post pics or shu well never mind i'm through talking well typing anyway this is an old thread and needs to be shut down.
06' 1 Ryobi Trimmer
09 Echo SMR 210 trimmer
06' Mclane Edger
Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=EWS;2314845]if you want to do percents when mixing it should be 30-40 percent of 100 gallons not 35 gallons of water 65 gallons of sealer,,, rookie mistakes[/QUOTE

Well tell me master coater what 30-40 % is then seeing how your and expirenced seal coater. You lnow never mind like i said in my last post i'm through with this old thread.
06' 1 Ryobi Trimmer
09 Echo SMR 210 trimmer
06' Mclane Edger

Last edited by DJ Contracting; 05-09-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add the last line
Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm just stating the truth. You guys keep asking the same questions and we keep telling you what is right and what is wrong. The answer is the same no matter how many times you ask or if you change up the question, the answer is the same!!!!

Don't ask if you don't want the truth!! It's not hard good at sealcoating as long as you have the right equipment and strick mix formula to go by
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

djcontracting " i agree with the agitation however if i'm not mistaken how will the material be agitated once you switch from agitation to spraying? I know on the hand agitated systems you agitate once you get on the job then you spray correct."

ummm....all nine of my sealcoating trucks have hydraulic aggitators, with speed control and forward/reverse. i have never had the pleasure of turning one by hand, nor do i ever want to. i dont think you can mix 5lbs of sand in a hand aggitated tank properly.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Smile

You can mix 5 lbs. in a hand crank tank bu you wouldn't like it (too tired to apply it afterwards.) So most people only go about 3.

While a hand crank tank will hold the sand in suspension while spraying (as long as the mix is right and it's mixed well) hydraulics let you keep the agitator turning (better) and also let you keep it turning while driving ( a must to prevent sand from setting out).
I have seen many people save money by buying a hand-crank only to be converting to hydraulics after a year (one season) even if they use a helper to crank. It;s just too slow and inefficient and hydraulics make everything quicker/easier/more production and that equals more profitable.