Register free!

Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

n2h20 thanks I'll check into that this week.

thanks mike

Michael Vickers, Owner
Quality Lawncare & Landscape Management, LLC
"Northern Ohio's Elite Property Maintenance Company"
Phone (419) 296-2531 Fax (419) 991-4269

Serving Northern Ohio With Professional Landscape Maintenance

Old 01-16-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

does anyone know of any build a pond days i tried to find some but know luck.iwould like to get into doing that not many around here are but have never done one so i need somewhere to start

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

dig a hole fill it up!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hmm check the aquascape site or maybe a local pond shop if you have any near you.
also the Ippca may have some info..

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape25
I looked at the site and did not see a schedule for build a pond but they do have several free seminars called Plunge into the Water Garden Business or something to that effect. Has anyone gone to one of those. I have never built a pond either.
I just attended the one in Billings, MT held yesterday 1/30/06.

It was pretty quuickly done, began at 9am and ran until 1pm, but we ended up going to almost 2pm. I'm a marketing guy by trade so I went to really learn about the actual product, which was nil. Mostly they discussed the one day concept, kits, smaller 'bread-n-butter' 11x16 ponds.

Some time was spent discussing larger commercial projects, but the profit margins weren't as high as the smaller ponds, and you can get into quite a bit of trouble - and overhead expenses - if you're not careful.

They do have a tech department and will fly a guy out for a few days to 'consult' and help you out. You pay the cost associated with that and then pass it on in your bid process.

I did spend $110 on two books. 'Succeeding $ Prospering with Water Features' Vol. II, and 'Pond Builders Bible'. Both are great material if you're just getting involved and I would HIGHLY recommend the Pond Builders Bible.

Being just a one man operation, I'm not sure if I can pull off a One Day Pond, actually I'm quite certain I couldn't. Maybe two days, if it's a small one. I am going to concentrate on the pondless waterfall aspects of the biz though by placing one at our own home.

Overall, the company seems to be sound and headed in a profitable direction. Their philosophy is unique and in one of their DVD'd I have they mention it being like a franchise without the fee.

Average profit of a pond kit is around $2500-$3500 and higher, depending upon the project.

If you have any questions about the 'seminar' give me a yell or post here.

~ Ace
Hand trowel
Desire
Old 02-01-2006, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Mike- I would highly recommend attending a "Plunge Into the Water Garden Business" or one Aquascapes Build a Pond Days. Trust me you will get "bit" by the pond bug, I know I did!!! Even if you have to travel an hour away to a seminor or a BAP it is worth it I just looked at my "plunge" seminar shirt and Aquascapes has many locations to go to the seminar. What part of Ohio are you near? Let me know if I can help out at all, pics, etc.

Noah
Old 02-02-2006, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do want to attend one of these sessions. They do look very interesting. I spent today though going around and checking out the different ponds and asking them how they were built and what all is involved. Really not as elusive as I though. Really quite simple. I have a customer who wants a waterfall built, and that already has a pond built. I am going to use it as a learning tool.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-03-2006, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsogr
I do want to attend one of these sessions. They do look very interesting. I spent today though going around and checking out the different ponds and asking them how they were built and what all is involved. Really not as elusive as I though. Really quite simple. I have a customer who wants a waterfall built, and that already has a pond built. I am going to use it as a learning tool.
drsogr, here is the info I promised you.

Standard Build-A-Pond Days

April 18th
Lilypads in Landscapes
Topeka, KS
1-2 People $99
3+ People $89

Standard Build-A-Pondless Days

March 28th
Lilypads in Landscapes
Topeka, KS
1-2 People $129
3+ People $109

The pamphlet doesn't denote a year so I'm assuming ADI is handing out current materials at their Plunge seminars.

~ Ace
Hand trowel
Desire
Old 02-03-2006, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your a man of your word. I appreciate that. How did you like the plunge seminar. They are having one of them about 5 hours away. I thought about checking it out. I have plenty of time to travel in the off season!

I will definity be checking out one of the build a pond days in topeka. I wish more companies would work in the way aquascapes works. They tell you how to sell it, what to sell it for, how to market it, how to build it. Thats great.

Derek
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

anyone in N.E. Ohio i was at pondscape in Boardman today and they said they will be having a seminar in mid march

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint