Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2005, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gway
hey dan...i live out here in naperville, il. ive owned GreenWay landscape now for about 12 years but have really never been to this site before. but im always looking for ways especially this year to pick up new buisness around the area.

Yep, that's about how long I've owned Hoy. Did you buy it or start it from scratch?

Dan
Old 12-30-2005, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

i Started greenway 12 years ago basically solo and built it up over the years where i just run the co and really dont do any of the work. we have 8-10 emp with me and the deal is ive always had my work site just down the street near the home where we store all the trucks and equipment. spoiled i am, but soon land is becomming a valued thing where we live and they are pushing all of the buisnesses out of thier spaces if you follow me? so we may need to look out there for land or storage for my company and thats why i posted the original ? But this year like every year i keep telling myself that if you wanna make the real $$ you need to stop this maintance thing and focus more or all on the landscape aspect of the company...
Old 12-30-2005, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gway
i Started greenway 12 years ago basically solo and built it up over the years where i just run the co and really dont do any of the work. we have 8-10 emp with me and the deal is ive always had my work site just down the street near the home where we store all the trucks and equipment. spoiled i am, but soon land is becomming a valued thing where we live and they are pushing all of the buisnesses out of thier spaces if you follow me? so we may need to look out there for land or storage for my company and thats why i posted the original ? But this year like every year i keep telling myself that if you wanna make the real $$ you need to stop this maintance thing and focus more or all on the landscape aspect of the company...
Sounds like you are doing a great job! I like maintenance for several reasons. Yes, it is recurring revenue. But more importantly, a good maintenance base will feed a LOT of installations. The reverse is true as well...most of our high profit maintenance jobs are former install customers...if they just spent $20,000 doing an install job, they want us protecting their investment. Not some rinky dink outfit.

I hear ya on land prices. Think you're bad off out there? Try in here closer to the city. It's running $20 a sq. foot for raw land...if you can find it. There's a small parcell over in Maywood that I can get for about $15 a foot, but I might have to wear bullet proof vests to work.

Dan
Old 12-31-2005, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyboy
Sounds like you are doing a great job! I like maintenance for several reasons. Yes, it is recurring revenue. But more importantly, a good maintenance base will feed a LOT of installations. The reverse is true as well...most of our high profit maintenance jobs are former install customers...if they just spent $20,000 doing an install job, they want us protecting their investment. Not some rinky dink outfit.

I hear ya on land prices. Think you're bad off out there? Try in here closer to the city. It's running $20 a sq. foot for raw land...if you can find it. There's a small parcell over in Maywood that I can get for about $15 a foot, but I might have to wear bullet proof vests to work.

Dan
Dan, Where are you from. I can follow you posts well about the area as I grew up there.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shop/office is 4 miles away from my home.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Drive 35 Mi. Our Office Space Is Free.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

HOY HOY HOY
I think I read that you own the space your at. How long did it take before you got to that point?
Also, mayHOOD, How would you insure your equipment. Many crackheads, many pawnshops.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslawncare
HOY HOY HOY
I think I read that you own the space your at. How long did it take before you got to that point?
Also, mayHOOD, How would you insure your equipment. Many crackheads, many pawnshops.
I don't own it. Sorry if I mis-stated that somewhere.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got ya'll beat. I wake up in my office every morning. Ten feet of commute takes me 2 seconds. The shop right now is in the garage attached to the house. I have 1 flight of stairs to trip over to get there.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My travel time is 15 minutes right now, but we are building a new facility so my commute will be 35 minutes then.

Chris