Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2000, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Paul, thanks for the help. ? on the edging. You say you are getting $16 per foot for edging? That means you would get $160 for 10 ft? If so where are you at cause I'm moving there monday. As for the amount of dirt, the ballpark of 10 cu. yards is about dead on.
Old 04-15-2000, 08:41 PM

JD, how high are you going to stack this berm? A foot of material, level, across a 10' circle comes to just under 79 cu ft by my calculations. There's some fancy figuring to get the amount for a tapering pile. but even if you figured 2' deep and level, that's only 6 yds, in place. Truck yards would probably be 7-8 to allow for shrinkage as you compact it, but that would depend a lot on how "fluffy" it was to start with. Your trailer will be good for about 4 yards max, figuring a ton per yard plus the weight of the trailer. So you're into two trips, and ALL of the second load will have to be moved UP onto the berm. Not knowing how close you are to your topsoil supply I have no way of knowing what your trip time will be. If you're shaping the berm, installing plants and mulch, I'd say you are too light on hours if you're only carrying nine hours. Personally I'd think closer to 12 total and price accordingly
Old 04-15-2000, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Alan, thanks alot! That does help me a bit on a few things that I had not considered. I just got 3 calls today that made me think of something. What do others (i.e. yourself and others that have replied) charge per man hour for landscaping. Do you have a set hourly fee or do certain jobs require different hourly rates. I'm also waiting for someone to tell me I'm crazy to charge for $40 per man hour which means I charge $120 per hr. for a 3 man crew. Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2000, 11:05 PM

Up here in northern Vermont I'm figuring $28/hr for pure manual labor and hand tools. If there is equipment that jumps to $38/hr. Hauling with a pickup is at $35 and with the 5 yd dump goes to $40. I'd like more for trucking but the market won't tolerate it. 18 yd tri-axles are only getting $45-50 and some dweebs will work a 15 yd tandem for $38. Compact tractor rates are running around $45.<p>On jobs of any real size I figure the base rate for labor, then carry equipment above that. For instance, to do a decorative block retaining wall I'll carry my hours at $28, figure my estimated time, add in travel, waiting for deliveries and a fudge factor of anywhere from 0 to maybe 30%, depending on how I feel about the job. Then I charge equipment at the daily rate of my local rental house. Even if it's my equipment I use the rental rate. Mark that up around 25%, add in trucking and material costs and hope I'm right<br>
Old 04-16-2000, 11:09 AM
Lawnsite Addict

I said the last time we installed sdging.<br>It was at a DOE plant bit*h to work at safety people all over the place and needed &quot;permit &quot; to install any material just for plants would have to have meetings and locates to find any wires or such in ground. Not a fun site to work at<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 04-16-2000, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heres my bid: 10 yards screened loam my cost 190 delivered charge to customer $250. Spreading and hand grading should take 2 1/2 man hours and thats not busting my hump so charge to customer $125. Edging 32 feet at 2.50/foot is $80 charge to customer. Your berm is covering approx 80 square feet so 3 inches mulch a yard will do it, my cost $20 charge to customer $50 installed.<p>My material costs are 240.Id charge $505, 30 tax total job $535 doing this myself, and Id figure, if the guy delivering the loam shows up by 8 Ill be at the next job by lunch. grab the mulch at the garden supply center along with the commercial edging. And you havent given a clue whether you have one plant or a hundred so Ill assume Ill be planting one marigold and Ill do that no extra charge!<p>Yeah I think you are high on your price unless your crew consists of three shovel props.<p>Bill
Old 04-16-2000, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you're price is high. I just landed a small contract to prepare the base for a brick patio. The area will be pre-excavated, all I need to do is bring in the base and prep. Me and two guys, should take 2-3 hours. Material costs, including delivery: $60. Charge to customer: $1,050. But it does require a bit more expertise and tools/eqpt than spreading soil and the like does.<p>My question is this: You seem to already have all the answers. Why ask the question?
Old 04-16-2000, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Stonehedge, I completely agree with you on the price. I feel very comfortable on my prices and think I'm right in line. The reason I asked the ? is the same reason I think a lot of people are on this site, a second opinion. This site allows us to all get somewhat of a verification on what we are charging and if it's in-line or not. I now have my bid drawn up and it goes something like this.<p>Bid for 10 ft burm in diameter:<p>3 man crew: $35.00 per man hr.<br>2 1/2 - 3 hrs. @$105 per hr. $260 - $315 labor, includes dirt prep, edging install, mulch prep/install and plantings. <p>3 cu. yards of mulch @ $20 per yard = $60<br>(We stock our own hardwood shreaded mulch our cost is $6.15 per yard)<p>Dirt delivery and cost 10 cu. yards = $70<p>Cost of edging $60<p>Total: $450 - $505<p>So I really don't know why my bid is high ( says the lawnguy) since it's the same as his, but I see in his bid his materials are much higher in cost. I don't know if that's because of the area or what, but the prices on my materials are not guesses, but are almost to the penny. I guess when it comes down to it the total is the important part and it sounds like we ar all on the same page on that. Thanks for all your help!<br>
Old 04-17-2000, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Johndeere originally writes: &quot;I am bidding it at $40 per man hr. and am figuring it at 3 hours. Plus I will add the cost of edging and plants. So I am figuring $360 plus materials.&quot;<p>Then two days later writes: &quot;3 man crew: 35.00 per man hr.2 1/2 - 3 hrs. @$105 per hr. $260 - $315 labor&quot;<p>So, which is it? 2 1/2 or 3 hours? 35 or 40/hour? Thats a 100 difference, which is 20 per cent difference from what you originally figured, so, I suppose that you did originally figure high. Yeah your bids the same as mine esp after you change it later in the thread. <p>Better get all this in writing for your customer to sign. You're about as clear on your bid as a fat man in a phone booth.<p>&quot;Total: $450 - $505&quot;<p>&quot;the prices on my materials are not guesses, but are almost to the penny. I guess when it comes down to it the total is the important part and it sounds like we ar all on the same page on that.&quot;<p>With all due respect 260-315 sounds like a guess to me. Where Im from, when folks want a quote that is what they want not a range. A quote like that would never fly around here.<p>Bill<p>
Old 04-17-2000, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawnguy, sounds like you have all the answers. I'll just make sure to direct my qustions to you next time and not bother getting others opinions on this site which is what I was doing to get this bid thus changing my original price. With all due respect Bill, your reply is unnecessary and not warranted. I can't stand people who feel that have to reply in haste. I was just stating my opinion on my bid with another person and not calling you wrong by any means and then I get this crap. These kind of replies sour me REAL quick! I have not ONCE squabbled with ANYONE on this site since the beginning until now. I have even had a couple of &quot;remarks&quot; from Mr. Stone and not ever said a word. My theory when I don't agree with someone is not to say anything at all than to say something stupid. I guess maybe in closing you should just ask yourself, did it really matter &quot;to you&quot; that I changed how I was doing my bid?
Closed Thread