Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151
Ok, well, three different "domains". What I meant was just have www.timbercreeklawnandlandscape.com and have the other 2 point to it? The contents of the site are the same, but you still come up with the different.. ah nevermind.. not going to try to dictate how people do stuff.. there's already a guy that does that, and heavens knows I don't want to upset Mr.Bush.
I am so confused....that is exactly what is going on. I have all of the info on one site, and the other two simple connect you to the first one. I didn't upload 3 sites. I only uploaded one site to timbercreeklandscape.com. The other two sites simply forward you to timbercreeklandscape.com. I think I am actually doing what you suggest.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape25
I think it is really nice. I did notice a few things. Should there be a comma after the "certain feel" and before the "we can" on the landscape design page? I am no grammer expert. Also on the same page the last sentence seems a little akward. Having one company design and install your landscape just makes sense, a suggestion. On the list of services it says "trees & shrub installation", maybe tree and shrub installation would be better. Otherwise what I read looks great.
Thanks for the input, I have corrected as your suggested. I tend to go blind to my own mistakes after reading something several times.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsogr
I am so confused....that is exactly what is going on. I have all of the info on one site, and the other two simple connect you to the first one. I didn't upload 3 sites. I only uploaded one site to timbercreeklandscape.com. The other two sites simply forward you to timbercreeklandscape.com. I think I am actually doing what you suggest.
Well, I must be too. What I am meaning is Domain Name Forwarding. Domain Name Forwarding allows you to redirect or "point" your domain name to another location. Most often, this is used if you own multiple domain names and want to "point" them to the same web site.

All three of yours keep a different domain name in the address bar. The way I was understanding it, would be that if somebody typed in "www.sodmyyard.com" is that it would forward to "www.timbercreeklandscape.com" and www.timbercreeklandscape.com is what would show in the address bar.

But nevermind, your way still gets the same thing accomplished.. just not sure how the other way is setup then.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151
Well, I must be too. What I am meaning is Domain Name Forwarding. Domain Name Forwarding allows you to redirect or "point" your domain name to another location. Most often, this is used if you own multiple domain names and want to "point" them to the same web site.

All three of yours keep a different domain name in the address bar. The way I was understanding it, would be that if somebody typed in "www.sodmyyard.com" is that it would forward to "www.timbercreeklandscape.com" and www.timbercreeklandscape.com is what would show in the address bar.

But nevermind, your way still gets the same thing accomplished.. just not sure how the other way is setup then.
I see why your confused now. I have all of my domains through yahoo.com. There's is set up to show the domain that the customer types. It is still forwarding them to timbercreeklandscape.com. But everything looks as if they really went to sodmyyard.com. I thought it was a neat feature.

As a side note eventually sodmyyard.com, will be a little different then the other two, since it will only be used on advertising going out directly to customers needing sod.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-30-2005, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

You might want to get a second opinion on the comma. I usually just throw them in where they look like they are needed so I don't want to steer you wrong.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking into starting a web page and don't really know where to start. I didn't know that you could have a web page like that through yahoo. Where would I go to and find info about building a page? How much does a page like yours cost, if you dont mind? The site looks great to me! I would like to have something similar. Lots of ideas brewing.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadams
I am looking into starting a web page and don't really know where to start. I didn't know that you could have a web page like that through yahoo. Where would I go to and find info about building a page? How much does a page like yours cost, if you dont mind? The site looks great to me! I would like to have something similar. Lots of ideas brewing.
Yahoo is the company that hosts the website. I pay around $10 dollars a month for them to host it, and they automatically renew the domain name for free. You can find these services cheaper, but as I am just starting out, I wanted someone who could provide customer service. And everyone says that they are the best. So around $120 dollars a year. Not including the cost (time) of building and updating the site.

I would suggest that if this is something that you plan on using for an advertising tool, to buy a book on using microsoft frontpage. It is a great program and relatively inexpensive. I used macromedia fireworks on mine, but it is a high dollar program...unless you can get it from a freind or something. I would highly recommend learning how to build your own. You will save yourself money, and you can change it at will. I have mine setup now, to where if I want to change text it is just like using word. As my company grows my website will become more and more useful. And hopefully my skills will become better as well.

To get started I would suggest opening up your local phonebook and looking at the websites whithin the phone book under lawncare or landscaping. You will see, that some don't come up ( because people don't post their sites and then forget about them ). You will see that some have bad links that lead to knowwhere. You will see sites that are underconstruction. And you will see really good sites. What companies do you think actively use their sites as an advertising medium? The ones who spent the time and the money to make their sites work.

-Theodore Roosevelt