Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would put your most resonsible person in charge of the crew.If he didnt have a license it would be up to him to designate a driver on his crew. But ultimatly he would still bear the responsibility of getting the truck, trailer and equipment to the job site. As foreman he would still see to the equipment being tied down properly,trailer hooked up correctly, and that the driver is obeying traffic laws as he drives from job to job.
Just as you are ultimatly responsible for the same even though your not even with the crew during the day.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Driver vs. leader

it is one thing to consider your driver as a "leader" it is another to have a guy with a D. L. When hiring it is crucial to have job descriptions. My leaders are drivers and they know to maintain that position and pay they have to have valid D.L. The job descriptions let each crew member know what it will take to become "top gun" as they learn more, they make more (as does the company) once they reach top gun status, I can grow. so I guess the moral of the story is...job descriptions, clear responsibilities and a path to the top.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I thought I'd fire this thread up again.

Same problem again this year, my best guy who has been with me for 5 seasons still does not have a drivers license.

An employee who worked for me in the past, and did a nice job, is coming back this year. He HAS a DL.

Both of these guys want top dollar.

I run a 4 man crew in this truck so two of the "backseat guys" are going to be working for peanuts for me to make this work.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what if this guy says without a raise i'm not driving? without a driver the truck and equipment cant get to the job to make the money. your best worker cant do his best job if theres noone to drive the truck. so i will yes the guy should get more money, getting the equipment there is just as important as getting the job done. the foreman may be the better worker but the other guy has the advatage a DL.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissel_landscaping
what if this guy says without a raise i'm not driving? without a driver the truck and equipment cant get to the job to make the money. your best worker cant do his best job if theres noone to drive the truck. so i will yes the guy should get more money, getting the equipment there is just as important as getting the job done. the foreman may be the better worker but the other guy has the advatage a DL.
Thats exactly the problem.

I don't want to terminate my guy who has five years of experience. And I can't find a quality driver who will do the job for less than what most people want to make.

I can't afford two "main guys" on one crew.

I need a driver for cheap.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Genarally the Foreman is a more mature, and knowledgeable, on the opposite the laborer is the one who needs to be told what to do, and be watched to a certian extent. I would rather have the 1st guy driving my truck.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My guy with the experience needs no instruction, he knows how to do everything. His biggest problem is not having a license.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What does the guy need to do to get his license?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMo
What does the guy need to do to get his license?

I think he maybe owes thousands of dollars. He gets defensive when discussing it. I no longer ask questions.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene $immons
I think he maybe owes thousands of dollars. He gets defensive when discussing it. I no longer ask questions.
job descriptions.

for me driver and crew leader are a joint task. No DL, no job for the former crew leader. I pay my crew leader / driver much more than the others and I'll be damned if I have to pay two people like that because one is too lazy, stupid, stubborn or whatever to fix the problem with the DL.