Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2006, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sell plants that other nurseries in your area don't. Get a niche. Every nursery I've been to sells the same plants such as marigolds, impatients, rhodendrums, etc. I've yet to see a nursery sell Joe Pie Weed or Hollyhocks.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I'm in the same boat as some of you guys and gals. I graduated 3 years ago and worked on the maintenance side right out of college, but I've always wanted to start up a retail/garden center. I'm not even wanting to grow the plants, just buy the wholesale and maintain. There are so many questions I have but just don't know where to start. I was wanting to have a little place that offers plants for landscapers around and some unique plants as well. Want to offer mulch material, sand, pine straw, the whole bit. Statue's, water fountains, etc. There is alot more to this than you think but I would really like to try. Another thing against it is I am in a smaller town setting than I'm sure most or you are. Just wondering if some of you own your own place and do you shop online, or are there some good publications out there or what? Right now the maintenance side is getting very boring
Old 01-19-2006, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well,the 1st place you start is figure out how much $$ you have to start up your idea.Then see if it is something that is needed where you are or not.Is there a Wall Mart or Home Depot or Lowes right close.?.if so you will never be able to compete in plant sales Where,how much room you would need and how much commercial zoned places are going for..if you want to rent or buy or if you are going to do it off your own property..do you need to get the zone changed to commercial retail so you can legaly do that kind of buisiness off your own property?.You can find that kind of info on your county website.How much $$ is it going to cost you to get off the ground with stock and place to sell out of insurance ect.
Then you will need a resale licence,a licence to conduct business and a plant selling licence in some areas.also
liability insurance in case somebody falls or hurts themselves while in your place of biz.
Once you have all that worked out and on paper
how much are you going to have to sell and for how long to get the start-up money back in your pocket?
If those #'s are to your liking THEN you can start to call companies and speak to rep's about what kind of discount on what materials they can sell to you for and do comparisons to get the most for your money.
Then you need to look at all of that info together and see if you really still want to do this or not.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the insite Sheshovel. I checked on the majority of what you said. There is a Lowe's and a Wal-mart nearby but I'm thinking of starting out in bulk materials first and then moving on to plants if everything goes well. I want to start out by moving material like lawn and mason sand along with a couple of other grades of sand, stone gravel and crushed stone, mulch and topsoil, things of that nature. I got a couple of prices on things and wanted to see if they were comparable to what was in you guys region. I can get lawn sand for $9 per yard. Mulches vary with the different kinds but it would mainly be cypress and pine bark they run $35-45 per yard.

I'm also thinking about doing field stone and flagstones. The ones I'm looking at run from 16-34 cents per pound. I know some go for a lot more than that but I'm not looking that far ahead yet. I can also get 3/4" crusher run stone for $22 per yard. I would just like to see how these numbers compared to some of you guys.

Also I saw on another thread someone talking about using the concrete barriers for building storage bins. I'm looking into doing that to but the prices down here for those barriers are ten times what smeone said they were up north. They're $150 per block down here so I may have to go in another direction. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

That's what we Retail our Mulch and Natural Stones for around here. Concrete blocks $25 a block but had to truck them 30 miles, that added to the cost.