Register free!

Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

thats him! thats the fish eater

i didn't think i would be able to get rid of him... i'm wondering why he just started coming here now when the pond has been in for many years

thanks a lot though guys, you really did help solve my mystery!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

If you want your fish to stay and the heron to leave you can buy some DECOYS for example a floating snake, a tall heron possible bigger than the predator herron, or get a plastic owl or even a raccoon!! Believe me if you move them around the pond every couple of days or so you will keep your fish...

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

something is eating the fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Pete
Yup.... here we go.............
This is down the road in the swamp where I live....

Why do you live in a swamp ??? Just kidding...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmel04
thats him! thats the fish eater

i didn't think i would be able to get rid of him... i'm wondering why he just started coming here now when the pond has been in for many years

thanks a lot though guys, you really did help solve my mystery!
LOL he found the easy way out, an easy meal

Old 01-03-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A heron is one of the top 5 pond-owner problems. A heron is similar to a human: Once he finds an excellent "restaraunt" to dine at, he will remember it for as long as he lives, regardless of where else he flies to. We recommend a few different methods of keeping them from dining on your prized goldfish and/or koi.

Method 1: Fishing Line

Tap 2-3' high stakes into the ground around the edge of your pond, and run multiple strands of fishing-line around the poles at different heights. The reflection of the sun on these strands drives the bird insane, as well as it does not allow him to easily get in and get out of the water without getting snagged. Proven Method.

Method 2: Decoys

Purchase decoys such as herons and floating alligators/crocodiles. In order for this method to work though, you MUST be religious about moving the heron decoys around, as the birds are VERY territorial. One bird per pond. You will be lucky if you EVER see 2 birds at once. This is why you must move the decoy every day. This method is cosmetically the most attractive.

Method 3: The "Scarecrow"

Purchase a product called a "SCARECROW". No, this isnt the Wizard of Oz scarecrow. Take a look here: http://www.pondplace.com/products/SCARE . This is a motion operated impact sprinkler that sprays the heron when he comes around.Turns on and off automaticly. Also gets rid of neighbors who think they need your $2000 koi LOL! Basically, it is a regular sprinkler head, with a 9volt battery to run the motion detector. Hooks up to a standard hose just like a regular sprinkler head as well. This method in conjunction with Method 2 (decoys) is highly effective. I'd personally say a 98% success rate.

Method 4: The Net

Purchase a pond net, available on http://www.pondplace.com/show_prod.h...etting,%20Pond. Most people who are really into ponds make this one-time investment for their ponds. Not only is it good for keeping leaves and other debree out, but it is also highly effective in keeping preadators out. Most nets are available for under $100. Routine pond maintenance is significantly lowered when a net is added.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Just put some structure in the pond and the smart fish will hide. Elevated rocks or logs work just fine as long as they are large enough. All of the other stuff can give a non-natural look to the pond.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dailey
Why do you live in a swamp ??? Just kidding...
Hey Jim,
We are about 5 miles from the "great swamp" in NJ. Actually, there's some need stuff in there.
And, just call me "swamp thing" :blush:
Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Heron

HI
How is your pond constructed ?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the fishing line is a good idea. if you have a dog that you can let hang out around the pond will help deter the brid. you must do whatever you can to deter that bird if you want to keep your fish, Like everyone said he will keep coming back till the fish are gone.

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 01-08-2006, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done all of the above in an attempt to ward off herons and raccoons. A deep pond with steep sides, and lots of cover, is a bonus. However, that is generally a hindsight situation.

My pond is roughly 20 x 20' and I have multiple parallel runs of heavy fishing line spaced about a foot apart over the area. Many fish hatcheries use this method.

I went with the netting on the water method for a while but it caused problems and didn't look good.

My realistic looking owl doesn't scare off too many things as far as I can tell, but it does a nice job serving as a perch for smaller birds.

For raccoons, I finally resulted in using an electric wire that runs along the waters edge.

The motion operating scarecrow may be a good way to go, however, these are not real cheap devices.