Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2006, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn Boy Pro

I see the motion operating scarecrow as a security device on my home and property from 2 legged varmint also not to exclude Dogs and cats Etc. I question weather a 3 second blast of water would stop Two legged Varmint. I am Wondering if they can be set for a longer time period. Or do they stay activated as long as there is motions???

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually ric those are great devices,they are set of by heat detection they shoot a 3 second burst and after a 10second wait,if they "see" another movement of "heat"they shoot again then then 10 sec wait..shoot if detection occurs again.The hose is hooked up to it and must stay turned an a small amount at all times.The detector detects the movement of heat,a valve opens for 3 secs,lets water into the rainbird head that shoots out the water.It can be adjusted for diff sensitivities and distance and arc.I use them here for deer.Only draw back it the batts will freeze and explode in winter if not removed.
DO NOT use fishing line to get the bird tangled up.Koi are just carp,they are much less valuble than a Great Blue Heron,do not hurt this bird or you could be in for fines that arent worth any fish in your pond
Old 01-08-2006, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Actually ric those are great devices,they are set of by heat detection they shoot a 3 second burst and after a 10second wait,if they "see" another movement of "heat"they shoot again then then 10 sec wait..shoot if detection occurs again.The hose is hooked up to it and must stay turned an a small amount at all times.The detector detects the movement of heat,a valve opens for 3 secs,lets water into the rainbird head that shoots out the water.It can be adjusted for diff sensitivities and distance and arc.I use them here for deer.Only draw back it the batts will freeze and explode in winter if not removed.
DO NOT use fishing line to get the bird tangled up.Koi are just carp,they are much less valuble than a Great Blue Heron,do not hurt this bird or you could be in for fines that arent worth any fish in your pond
SheShovel

Here in Florida Zone 10 I am not too concerned with the Batteries freezing. But my main concern is the 3 seconds timing. It takes longer than 3 seconds for a impact head to make a full circle, sorry I have never timed it.

I can fully understand that short burst scaring away a 4 legged animal but I am looking at this as this as a control of 2 legged varmint. The 10 second pause works for me but a 30 second to 1 minute burst of sprinklers might be better for two legged varmint. Add in motion detector lights and you have a very strong defense system against armatures and kids. I have the motion sensor lights and Like them for just being able to go out side at night and see. They are also great when coming home at night late. I have not had a problem along these lines so maybe I am just bored and needed to think about something.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The line covering my pond is 20# test and in the year or so that I've had this line up I've yet to see a bird fly into it. It's also stretched tight enough where I doubt that if a bird did hit it, it wouldn't get tangled up.

Koi are just carp, Sheshovel? Ouch! That's like saying that japenese maples are just trees and therefore shouldn't amount to a hill of beans to people. A heron can wipe out an entire pond, and considering the value that some koi are, losing an entire population of them could really be a disaster.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

there is only one way to deter that bird and that is to eliminate it OR the fish.

no bird? no problem.

no fish? hungry bird goes elsewhere, no problem.

before anyone gets the wrong impression, I'll lay it out for you. I hate those birds. they are ugly, scrawney legged and eat fish constantly. they make a screeching squawking noise that just sounds horrible and they can poop like you wouldn't believe. I see no reason for them to be protected because there millions of those things on the wing with most of them being here all damn winter. other than that I don't have a problem with them.

GEO
Old 01-12-2006, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well here there is exitement when one is seen in the wild.The 3 sec burst does not neccesarily get them the first time because you are correct,it does not make a full revolution of the head,this can be manualy adjusted.But it scares the crap out of any two legged or 4 legged creature,besides maybe a Allagator or a Crock have not had the opportunity to try one on those.Trust me this device works!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like an ostridge to me, I would shoot it!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Put a plastic Heron by the pond. This usually works because they are Terratorialy.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

ACut Above is partially correct. The only problem is once a Blue Heron claims a water hole it is his. When he comes by for dinner and sees the plastic one he will fight it ( Have witnessed this on 2 occasions ) and once he beats the plastic one to the ground it is dinner as usual. Once warmer weather rolls around he will go away till next fall and winter. I had to build a pvc frame and use netting over my pond to solve the problem.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ya we also put a thread in here about it and the fish were hiding behind the rocks lol