Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2006, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procut
Well, i went to that restaurant today, and looked all over the placemat and couldn't find a number to call about advertising. Its wierd because I've seen the number on there every other time. So I guess I'm at standstill.
No your not. You just saved a bunch of money. I had a friend who had ads on the back of your grocery store receipts and got nothing. It seems like up to about the year 2000 all types of advertising would work but now-----who knows.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just because you slap your name on something doesn't mean it will work. You have to slap it on something people actually look at. Placemats, receipts, shopping carts, people don't pay attention. And usually so many business are on those things that they're too busy to pick out individual ads. Advertise wisely.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procut
Well, i went to that restaurant today, and looked all over the placemat and couldn't find a number to call about advertising. Its wierd because I've seen the number on there every other time. So I guess I'm at standstill.
Why didn't you ask the manager?

I think it would work great if you could supply the placemat and have the whole mat to place your add. You could make a separate style for kids and make it functional with coloring. Parents always look at their kids art work on place mats.

It would probably be cheaper if you have a printing company make the placmat and you donate them to the restaurant. Have it designed at www.designoutpost.com/forums/ for fairly cheap.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Placemats are good for Recogintion and memory

For my supply company, I approached a local restaurant that I frequent. He had very basic placemats at the time. I offered to supply him with placemats, with a different theme based on the season. I didn't want to be one of those quarter sized ads running around a sketch of the Acropolis or something like that.

Ultimately, you have to find out what motivates the owner of a restaurant, because my plans changed slightly, but have worked out ok. He liked the idea, so much, he ran it by a friend (trash and dumpster guy - who is my tenant!). So we were going to split it with his ad and the Restaurant would get a plug, with some kid games, and word puzzles, etc.

It has turned out ok, and the printer slipped a little plug in for himself (I am sure this is how he keeps the price down - since he snatched the account from the original printer based on price). The ads are prominent and well laid out. The restaurant will occasionally rotate placemats, and we occasionally change the layout to keep it fresh. Costs are minimal.

As far as business, I don't really ever have coupons or discounts, especially to non-regular customers, so I totally disagree with that idea. Up to the point a couple years ago (approximately 120,000 placemats) we did no advertising. I felt that since this was a smaller community, and since I knew a lot of people from our target communities frequented the restaurant that it would be good, affordable exposure. I believe that this strategy has worked, because we are gaining good name recognition, have our logo on the trucks that matches up with all of our promotional or business material. I don't want people to think of me when they want to save some money. I want people to think of me when they need the products or services that I listed. In my case, I want them to think of me when they have their landscaper go get supplies. To that end, we get new customers all of the time because there customers sent them to us.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pro cut,
I have done placemats a few times, the way it works is they print like 15,000 (? I'm not positive of the number) mats for a list of different restaurants in your area, cost about a hundred bucks to have a business card size add that will end up in somewhere around 5 to 10 different restaurants. I push my stump grinding this way and have never had it where I did not get at least enough back to pay for the ads.
anyway, they print these mats about 4 times per year, cost about 100 bucks per run to get in about 5 to 10 restaurants, they also, do special runs for the county fair time periods. people come up here from the city to a cottage, go out to breakfast and while waiting and having coffee read those mats, I have been called several times from cell phones while the person is sitting in the restaurant looking at my ad.
The printer is called Plate mates, I will dig in my reciepts and find you a number to call, I don't have it handy because they call me whenever they get ready to design a new batch of mats.
OK, found it.
PlateMate
9301 Hyde Rd.
Clark Lake Mi. 49234
platemate@voyager.net
517-529-9421 / 800-388-4878
ask to talk to Cindy Naegele
Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call the other advertisers on the placemat and ask how it has been working for them.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok. I noticed a buddy of mine who owns a cell phone shop had an add on these placemats, so I went and talked to him today. the cost is about $175.00 for about two months worth of advertising. Thus far he has spent almost $800.00 advertising on these placemats and has sold two phones because of it. He's not renewing next month. I'm beginning to think there are better ways to spend advertising dollars. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that does seem like a lot of money for two months. That would get you a nice yellow pages ad, where thousands could see everyday, compared to maybe a few dozen with the placemats
Old 01-20-2006, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried the placemats thing a couple of years ago. It was 3 bills and some change for 15,000 copies, split up to 2 or 3 diners that lasted a few months. Had no calls for work, but my dentist said he saw the add. FUnny thing, because I try to sell him a fence everytime I go in there, tells me it's goverment property, then last time I went in for a cleaning there was a new fence. Time for a new dentist.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF
I tried the placemats thing a couple of years ago. It was 3 bills and some change for 15,000 copies, split up to 2 or 3 diners that lasted a few months. Had no calls for work, but my dentist said he saw the add. FUnny thing, because I try to sell him a fence everytime I go in there, tells me it's goverment property, then last time I went in for a cleaning there was a new fence. Time for a new dentist.
Same here, years ago I spent over $1,000 with my dentist (and I have good teeth) he asks me what I charged for aeration. After I told him(which I have fair prices)he said "oh good" I saved because me and my neighbor rented one this past weekend and saved money. He became my former dentist as I left his office that day!