Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-18-2000, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I know sometime we have to double cut even though that cuts into our profit. As I am sitting here watching the rain thinking how far behind I am getting on my cuts and losing money, I came up with a Idea. Let me know what you guys think. For example I have 10 homes that needed to be cut today and 10 from yesterday. Most of these will probably need to be double cut since they are starting to get long. I always charge per cut because, that is whats common around here. I was thinking of cutting everyones lawn a little longer than normal and telling them I had to do the because of all the rain we have been having. I would also let the know that I would be back early next week to cut it again so we can get it back to normal cutting height which is 3 Inches. This way it makes it easier on me when I get to cut again and I don't lose any money by losing a week to rain. I have a floating deck so changing the height is no problem.
Old 04-18-2000, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it may work. If you are cutting<br>at 3&quot; though,how high are you planning to<br>cut it now? How high way it before you mowed?<br>Sounds more like a bush hog job.<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-18-2000, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Karl,<p>They will probably be around 5 Inches. I just don't like to cut alot of grass off at once because they you have a mess on your hands. Especially when it's damp.
Old 04-18-2000, 08:18 AM

I don't involve customers in details like that. Most would probably not notice unless you bring it up. If they do then you can explain why you did it. I am always doing that raising and lowering the height so as not to make a mess as conditions warrant. Part of the job
Old 04-18-2000, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Charles,<p>You are right the customers probably would never no notice a 1/2&quot; to 1&quot; difference, but what they will notice is that I bill them again 5 days later................Why should we work harder when it rains for a few days? We should finally start making the customer pay for it.
Old 04-18-2000, 08:32 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Raise the deck and make sure you are cutting with the front of the deck and not cutting the grass twice.<p>Scrape the decks and sharpen the blades daily.<p>During periods of high growth I use a 52&quot; or 62&quot; toro side discharge with gator (old style)blades. I mow at 2 1/2&quot; residential/industrial and 1 1/2&quot; at the<br>athletic fields (in play 1 1/2&quot; dormant fields at 3&quot.
Old 04-18-2000, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

<p>It helps to have a powerful backpack blower on hand. Doing a quick walk through of say - a high profile front lawn with excessive clippings - you can sometimes eliminate a second or 'cross cut'.<p>It depends a lot on how powerful your mower is too. Cutting a tall lawn using a 48&quot; with a 14 may have to be cut twice because many blades of grass will be uncut....poor little engine can't sort it all out. <p>But, if it's a matter of having too many clippings around after the first time over, and the grass itself seems to be evenly cut - then try the backpack blower. It's amazing just how many messes you can clean up by breaking up and spreading the lumps and clumps over a wider area.
Old 04-18-2000, 07:13 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
turfquip wrote:<p>&gt;It depends a lot on how powerful your mower is too. Cutting a tall lawn using a 48&quot; with a 14 may have to be cut twice because many blades of grass will be uncut....poor little engine can't sort it all out. <p>The reason my first line mowers a 62&quot; w/18hp<br>V-twin kohler and two 52&quot; 16hp magnums perform so well is the 28+ft lbs of torque<br>produced by those engines.<p>The same exact mower with a single cylinder engine is a whole different machine.<p>If you are going to buy a new or used mower<br>get a machine that has the biggest and best<br>engine available at time of production.
Old 04-18-2000, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

If i have any clippings left, Which is all the time. I just bag the clipings left on the lawn.
Old 04-18-2000, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawrence....get this. I used to have a Bunton 52 with a 12.5 KAW on it. You may remember the deck style - straight across in the front.<p>It's sole purpose in life was to be used as a 'precutter'. I had it set at the maximum frame height setting - which I believe was right around 6 inches. When I knew I would have to cross cut due to excessive Spring rain and fertilizer, I took the 'precutter' and wacked the grass down from 7&quot;, 8&quot; typical[fescue lawns]down to 6&quot;, then finished at around 4 inches with another machine.<p>Taking a tall lawn down in stages worked right in those instances - left no visible clippings after taking 50% of the length of the grass blade.<br>