Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Truck Damage

Twice this month, i have discovered minor damage to two of my trucks. Looking at the paint transfer, it is apparent that the damage occurred while someone was backing one of the other trucks up. This has happened twice! Here's my dilemma.......
I'm heated tonight, after finding the second incident of damage. I'm even more Pi$@ed that it wasn't reported to me by anyone.
My first reaction is to eliminate the bonus plan that we have in place. I'm tired of paying for damage to these trucks. I can tell you that if I find out who caused the damage, they will be terminated immediately. We have a strict policy on backing up trucks. Specifically, one crew member is required to be behind the truck at all times. Obviously, this didn't happen in these two instances.
Anyone else deal with similar frustrations? How do you handle them?
Any suggestions?
Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to check trucks in and out every day or follow the guys around all the time. Overall, we have a good group of staff, however, I am also considering cleaning house.
Thanks for any input.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire a account manager they watch when the trucks come in and when they go out, they take care of all your jobs for you also. They are worth there weight in gold in lost time, they help get your crews to work faster and they make sure things get done on time and right. I would get rid of the person who messed the truck up fast because the way I look at it is what else are they not telling you. But I would not get rid of the bonus plan because you don't want to make your good workers frustrated and angry. Now in your business things may be different then running a landscaping company. Good luck to you and never make a biz decision when you are mad or depressed or you will be sorry in the long run.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I've cooled down a bit. And we have budeted for an ass't ops manager this spring, who will complete all those tasks that take us away from building the business.
Thanks again.