Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2000, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Would like to hear opinions on the best selective herbicide for use in a backpack sprayer for spot treatments of northern grasses. My local Lesco dealer recommended Lesco bentgrass Selective. Anyone use this? How well does it work? Im looking for a good<br>selective herbicide that will take out a large variety of weeds but with minimal (or no)yellowing of the grass.
Old 04-06-2000, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bentgrass selective? I wonder why he recommended that...?<p>For spot treatments this early in the spring use an Ester formulation. I'd recommend Lesco 3-Way Ester II. It has a high % of 2,4-D, Tricloryr and Dicamba- controls just about any dicot. Plus it's Ester formulation gets into plants quickly and works well in cooler temps.<p>Take it easy around tree roots: Triclopyr and Dicamba are both used to control woody underbrush.
Old 04-16-2000, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i resently use the lesco 3 way and its results werent what i expected.... it worked ok, alot of the weeds curled but they didnt look like they were effected enough that they will die. i even put a second application of it on and it then took care of the easy to kill weeds like union grass and oxalis but still didnt completly killground ivy or wild violet.
Old 04-16-2000, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

If you guys are going to use something in the early spring when temps are low, use an ester formulation; If the temps start to rise and steady off above 75 degrees switch to Lesco's Momentum. It is a combination of 2,4-D chlopyralid and trichlopyr. It will knock the crap out of most broadleaf weeds including your waxy cuticle weeds like oxalis and wild violets and clover. Give it 1-2 wks but it works. as far as wild onions go there isan't any nonselective herbicide that will control it. Three way ester will suppress it (slow down) but not control it. I hope this helps your situations.
Old 04-18-2000, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I like what I am hearing about Momentum. Problem I have is that my lesco branch only carries certain stuff. I can't get some of the three ways. Oh well. So how large of a yard do you guys cover with the backpack and do you cover full yard or just spot spray where the weeds are? <p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 04-18-2000, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've used the lesco bentgrass selective,it works great,kills everything good and the grass hardly yellows at all,fully recovers in no time.It is my favorite selective out there<p>----------<br>John D<br>