Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

field mowing

Due to some policy changes beyond my control, i will have to provide maintenence as well as fertilization on several accounts this season. 36 years in lawn care, 0 years in maintenence! Should i price the mowing based on square footage or by the hour? Iwill be mowing with a kubota B3030, rear pto finish mower, model & size yet to be determined. Thankx for feedback in advance, Scott.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you mean lawncare but not field mowing? football or baseball?
Figure out how long it will take you to cut them and find out how many times a week they want them cut. Verticutting too?? Is it a fertigation system or all going to be granular? Are you striping and maintaing basball skined areas? They can be a PITA. They won't go for it on an hourly basis. Most likely its a bid and see project. Lots of feilds go shopping but never hire out because they find no one will do it as cheaply as they had, they are simply unaware of the expenses involved. What about litter? Can be a major time eating PITA.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

fields

We have lawn care programs on the feilds, we now have to cut, another company doe's the irrigation & paint lines.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many acres are you going to be mowing?

The B3030 seems like a very small machine to be mowing fields with. I would probably look at something larger with a gullwing or towbehind WAM
Old 01-11-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After looking at the 3030 I'd say step up to at least the L series as well. It does depend on how many acres you'll be doing though. The district did 10 schools (all football fields and baseball and softball) with a Deere and this set up because the feilds were full of junk/rocks/trash all the time http://www.tiger-mowers.com/products...gang_flail.asp
Flails were extremely loud to operate.
Prior to that district used a Jacobsen gang mower. Costly to sharpen and replace reels. The tigers didn't cut great but when cross cut on Bermuda it was acceptable. It was for a public highschool system. Don't know the level of cut quality you need.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm talking about cutting 3 acres at one location 6 acres at another. There is no need for an l model! The 3030 is 23 hp @ the pto, more than enough power to run a 72" rear finish mower!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to cut and trim 1-2 acres per hour. 9 acres can be done well within a day
Old 01-15-2006, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather lawn sp
You should be able to cut and trim 1-2 acres per hour. 9 acres can be done well within a day
Thank you heather lawn ! Do you have any hands on experience with mulching blades? I imagine they are difficult to sharpen, do they work well?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

9acres is pretty easy. I was thinking you would be in the double digits for acreage to mow weekly. I would possibly look at a diesel 72" ZTR or even a Lastec (sponsor here). You should be able to cut @ 10+ mph on the fields with a nice Z. The Z would work if you didn't need the machine for other tasks like aerating, slit seeding, fertilizing, etc.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We were doing 25 acres of 5 schools a day within the same small town with 2 people 54" 25 hp & 72" 31 hp Z's, cut and trimmed. So 50-60 acres a week with a single mower would not be out of line. Keep in mind though 9 acres may not be enough to 'Feed' a big diesel Z. If you are using the tractor for other work besides that could be a go.

Last edited by heather lawn sp; 01-15-2006 at 11:18 PM.