Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2000, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the way that striping looks in a lawn. <br>I was wondering if anyone makes a full length <br>roller or kit that I can adapt to my JD 54&quot;<br>deck? I noticed that Simplicity offeres them standard. <p>Thanks, <br> J. Turpin
Old 04-16-2000, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

me too
Old 04-17-2000, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

of course that is your opinion Orkin; my Steiner 220 (all steiner decks actually) has a roller on the deck to ACCENTUATE the look & make the stripe stand out even more. The only thing the other &quot;good&quot; mowers do to make a stripe is the back of the deck drags low enough to touch the grass & drag over it helping to 'lay' it in one direction.<br> What do you think the reel mowers that do major league baseball fields use? A ROLLER at the back to finish the look.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p>
Old 04-17-2000, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Orkin,please define a good mower
Old 04-17-2000, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ill bet 20$ he says toro, <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-17-2000, 05:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

John Deere does. Did you check with your dealer yet?<p>Bill
Old 04-17-2000, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

HMMMM.... I see the big dogs haven't weighed in on this one yet. they must be out cutting grass.<p>my lesco 48 belt stripes as good as any machine out there and the back of the deck doesn't drag the grass to make the stripe. no rollers either. now that's what I call a great MACHINE!<p>
Old 04-17-2000, 07:06 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My Dixie Choppers don't have any thing but a little anti scalp roller front and back. The back of the deck doesn't drag and they still stripe fairly good, at least I have had a few hundred emails from guys saying they stripe good after visiting my website. BTW, thanks for all the kind words everyone. It makes me feel good to hear this. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-18-2000, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What happened to orkin's post?<br>My Honda walk behind stripes very nicely without a roller, too. Go over your stripes the same direction for 2 mowings & they really stand out! I go 2 weeks the same direction, then switch directions & go that way for 2 weeks, then switch again, etc.<br>Some mowers do better than others- I have yet to see a lawn tractor (MTD, crapsman, etc.) that can stripe effectively, which is nice for us because I see lots of homeowners trying it out there & can't do it, which makes us look good; like the professionals we strive to be. This is one more reason we can stand tall & have the edge over all those out there who think we're a dumb kid with a amower in the back of his pickup mowin' grass. To these types I ignore, but the ones I do answer I just tell them how much equip. & overhead there is in this line of work. That's like comparing a house cat to a tiger.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 04-18-2000, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

get a proslide for your walkbehind, it is the best at leaving stripes.