Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

compact tractor uses

Im thinking about buying a compact tractor within this year.

I want one with a front loader, and a backhoe.

I work with an electrical contractor, so we have our uses with the backhoe for running service lines.

But I would like to venture out doing other work too. What kind of uses, and work can I advertise myself for if I have this equipment?

thanks a lot
Old 01-13-2006, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a New Holland TC-33DA with front loader. An absolutely awesome machine. If I was going to get one with both front loader and backhoe, New Holland would be my first stop but I'd also look at Kioti. I'm a little prejudiced to New Holland since mine has made me so much money so far. But I think Kioti would give you better performance for the money than most others, even Kubota. Their US headquarters is just outside Raleigh here so you could possibly make a road trip to check them out. I have a friend who farms with a DK50 Kioti and he absolutely loves it. He says the company is awesome to work with, also.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get your self a kubota. My guys beat the crap out of my stuff. Its still running like new.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 01-14-2006, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere 3320 here and I love it. Hydrostatic trans. makes life MUCH easier.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

kubota

Kubota builds quality, you pay upfront, it pays you back all the way down the line!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want the most tractor for the money (features and ruggedness), look into a Mahindra. The 4110 41hp I got cost about $5000 less than a similar JD or Kabota. I'd been comparing both for several years before the JD dealer started selling Mahindra. It doesn't have a built-in cup holder, but it has what counts to get work done.

I might also suggest that, as an electrical contractor, you consider a trencher rather than a backhoe.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Itsgottobegreen. Get yourself a real machine, Kubota! I have a L35 TLB and love it. Small eoungh to be towed with a 3/4 ton pickup. But big enough to get the job done. Tough as nails!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a JD 3120 with a FEL and backhoe and a Kubota B7500. I like both tractors. But the EHydro on the JD is awesome. If I could do anything different however I would have taken the money I paid for the backhoe and used it as a down payment on a new or used mini excavator. I'll usually rent an excavator if I'm doing a medium to large amount of digging instead of using the backhoe. The backhoe stays on the tractor about 5% of the year. It's nice for very small jobs but compared to an excavator it's a PITA.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, you asked what kind of work you can do with a tractor and everyone tells you what tractor you should get.
I have my favorites (cough, Kubota, cough) but thats not the question.
I had a Kubota grand L with loader and backhoe and operated a parttime bus. for a couple years. I did some BH work but not much. Mostly what I did was grading, leveling and clearing. Right before I gave up the bus. was in the process of working a deal with a shed company that wouldve been pretty nice. This company sold prebuilt wooden sheds and recommend me to those customers that needed a pad leveled or cleared or gravel spead. I would be paid and give the shed company a percentage split for the referral. The only equipment needed is a nice box blade, a rake and loader.
Another money maker, I never did it but I know someone with a small TLB that stays very busy with it, is setting up mobile home sites (piers, utilities, leveling) for a mobile home sales company.
Another option is digging graves. Ive never done that either but I hear it pays well.
Just a couple of ideas for you. There are literally hundreds of jobs and variations of jobs you can do with a compact tractor and a few implements.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a small list of jobs I've done with my Kubota L35 TLB.
Stump removal, install drain lines, install service lines for sewer hook ups, install trees and large shrubs, install driveway culverts, dig footings, small grading/land clearing and bush hogging. The list is endless, compact tractors with the right attachements can do anything within reason. The longer you own the machine, the more uses you will find for it.