Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2001, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

RYAN aerators

How many of you use RYAN aerators and what do you think of them? I've had mine for about a year now, and I can't tell you how many times this things has fallen apart on me. No problems with the engine, it's mainly nuts and bolts rattling loose. Now just as my year warranty expired a week ago, the whole axle shaft (that runs through the tines) totally striped out. Now I have to wait a week for replacement parts to come in. Just venting!!!
Old 04-07-2001, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

EROSS17

Can not help you much with the Ryan, but I will say this, if you look for another don,t bother looking at Bluebird it's not any better. I purchased mine new and after about 50 hours the first year, was doing winter P.M. and found the gear reduction box had never had any oil put in it by the factory or dealer. Neither would help out on the bearing replacement untill I told the dealer I was good friends with his #1 customer who was about to spends 100k with him and that I would have to advise him of the service I received. Amazing how he changed his mind over two $12 bearings. But I further told him that the $24 wouldn't break me so just keep your bearings,service and don't expect to see me back . Guess the $4000 I had spent with him didn't mean much.
Old 04-07-2001, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate to hear that about your Ryan. I have Ryan 4s and 5s, and haven't had any problems with them other than the average maintenance needs. Did the axle bust on the left hand side of the machine? There is a lot of weght and torque placed on that side when you aerate. Good luck. I know this doesn't help, but it may just be that you got a lemon. My Stihl 400 BP blower is crap, but noone else seems to have much problems with them.
Old 04-07-2001, 07:41 PM
Millenium Member

I had a Ryan and had zero problems also. Currently have Classen and have had no problems yet, have only used it for last fall and this spring so time will tell.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've used my lawnaireV for 3 or 4 seasons now and done hundreds of lawns. The only problem was a few years ago the shaft that holds the tines lost the nut and began to screw itself out of the machine. I got it back in, used locktite, and (knock on wood) haven't has any problems since.

I really like this machine but want to add a split drive classen tow behind for next year. I've heard so many good things about them and I get tired of doing big jobs that take time with a walk behind.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I had figured that I had just got a lemon, but I have a few friends in the business that have had a lot of problems with theirs also. Just thought I'd ask around. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2001, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I had some problems with the Ryans that I rented. They never seemed to work for a whole day. I own a small Toro which is the same as a Bluebird and a large Lesco which is the same as a Classen. I have had the Toro 3 seasons and the Lesco for 1. No problems with either. The Lesco/Classen seems to be built a little simpler and it looks to be much easier to work on than the Ryans.
Old 04-08-2001, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problems with Ryan or Bluebird here

We have an older Ryan and a new Bluebird (742 I think). Neither is much of a problem at all. We replaced the roller bearings on the Ryan last year, and it was no big deal. When the Bluebird arrived it was idling too fast. The factory rep came right to our shop, tried it, fixed it, and I'm very satisfied. So, we bought a Bluebird Sod cutter last week.

We rent all of the above machines out to others, and they withstand the use/abuse. Maybe its time for a new dealer, like someone indicated before.
Old 04-08-2001, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had an LA 4 for 11 years, with no problems at all (well except for the time I rolled it aerating across a slope, but that was my stupidity and inexperience!!!). I also have an LA28 which is great. Best aerator I have ever used.

Alan
Old 04-08-2001, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

only problem with mine is that sometimes the chain my come off.