Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2006, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gross profits per man

I am a small landscaper working solo about 45 hours per week average, with back up help (1 man) for about 30 hours. I grossed about 69,000 last year, and that was with a full school load two semesters with 30 combined semester hours.
Is this reasonable for a small company? If the numbers seem low, it may be because of a severe drought we had last summer. I lost about 7 lawn cuttings.

I am looking for some comparisons to see where I stand. Thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What did you net?

I feel that seems reasonable
Old 01-14-2006, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy
I am a small landscaper working solo about 45 hours per week average, with back up help (1 man) for about 30 hours. I grossed about 69,000 last year, and that was with a full school load two semesters with 30 combined semester hours.
Is this reasonable for a small company? If the numbers seem low, it may be because of a severe drought we had last summer. I lost about 7 lawn cuttings.

I am looking for some comparisons to see where I stand. Thanks guys.
Hey Cowboy- those numbers suck. Maybe you should step it up this year. J/K

You grossed more while going to school than a lot do with this being the only responsibility they have.
Good job.

Kc
Old 01-14-2006, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I suppose with a helper for 2/3'rds of the time and you got over 3-4 years experience AND you're further north (meaning the prices are a bit higher), 69k sounds about right...

I'm finishing my 4th year in lawncare. Far as the average work week if you figure 52 weeks/year, I might've worked 36 of those, at 60 / week... Guess that averages out to 41-42 hours/week.

I'm about 1000 miles south of you, so prices likely drop 10% or thereabouts...
I grossed 31k last year by myself, no help.

So I would guess you're in the ballpark but much like the other guy said, I feel the urge to step things up, the figures DO suck thou on the other hand, it's the best I've ever done, too...

Take the good and the bad, it averaged out to a pretty good year for me.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

69 grand for a 1 man band with some occassional help sounds pretty good to me.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh that is about what I did with a helper only 1 day a week for about 20 weeks (about a 10 hour day), the other weeks didn't need the help, and it is my part job. (actualy 2nd job, not part time LOL). Sounds about right. Good job.

This year it will be my only job and I have almost doubled my contracts and looking to hire 1 full time and maybee another to get more accounts.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I just had a quick question...How many lawns can be done in a day if they are just normal sized suburban lots....Cut, Trim, and blow. I am trying to figure out how many I can take on by myself full time this season and how many I can run with an employee. Thanks
52" Toro Proline 14h.p.
Exmark Viking 36"
Lawnboy 21" 6.5h.p.
Yardmachine 21" 6h.p.
2-Echo SRM-210
2-Ryobi 4cy Trimmers/Brushcutter
2-Echo Pb400e
Solo 423 Port
Plugr PL410H
Bobcat 743 Diesel(down right now)
www.GroundEffectsLawnCare.com
Old 01-18-2006, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cowboy -- What do you mean by "lost 7 cuttings?" Do you mean you lost services for 7 lawns, not cutting them any longer at all for the drought time, plus the rest of the season? Or, do you mean that you lost a total of 7 cuttings as part of weekly cuts that you were expecting?

If the second assumption is right, then I would say you did VERY well! I lost about 120-130 cuttings that I was expecting from regular customers. These were customers who were on a schedule, nearly all weekly cuttings. When the drought hit, many went to two weeks, some longer between cuttings.

I think your income is pretty good considering working only a part of a week, plus a helper (45 hours is part of a week in my schedule). With the loss of so many cuttings, my 2005 sales were down considerably from 2004. I had planned on those 120 cuttings for a full season, but lost out.

I expect to hear from others who will condemn for not having a monthly contract. None here, all work is on a task basis. None of my customers would ever consider a monthly fee, regardless of how much to mow. So, save the comments about how "you are not doing it right." I happy to have work, albeit not as much as I would like at drought times.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I expect to hear from others who will condemn for not having a monthly contract. None here, all work is on a task basis. None of my customers would ever consider a monthly fee, regardless of how much to mow. So, save the comments about how "you are not doing it right." I happy to have work, albeit not as much as I would like at drought times.
In 12 straight full time years of this with now around 180 accounts, I have been asked ONLY ONCE for a monthly contract.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Cowboy,
It is not about how much you gross...its about how much you net and how much was you ROI. Return on investment.